Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm/sirius radios

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 AM
lilricky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leohd
anybdy hard wire the power without using the cigarette lighter adapter? heard ya can't do it cause of some resistor or sumthen in the lighter plug
The XM is 5volts. I just put the adapter inside the nacelle.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anybdy hard wire the power without using the cigarette lighter adapter? heard ya can't do it cause of some resistor or sumthen in the lighter plug
The power wires going into the back of the cigarette lighter inside the fairing are the perfect place to hook up your XM, GPS or any other accessories you have. The circuit is rated to handle the current pull from the cigarette lighter (which is significantly higher than any radio or GPS) and is easy to get to. The O/R wire is 12v positive and the BLK wire is ground.

If I understand the nature of your question, you're asking if you can eliminate the cigarette-lighter plug associated with your radio. The answer to that question varies, depending on what voltage is actually being provided to your device from the plug. If it's 12V, then you can eliminate the plug. However, many devices have 5V being provided by a voltage-reduction circuit in the cigarette-lighter plug. In that case, bypassing the plug would fry your radio.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _Andy_
This is what all I used for my setup. I've got the radio unit sitting in my center windshield bag so that it's out of sight. I wired the power supply originally to a power/lighter socket under the fairing connected to the back of the cigarette lighter on the fairing and then got the power adapter later on
Yes. I also hard wired my power adapter (required because the SIRIUS module runs on 5 volts) to the rear of the cigarette lighter and placed it inside the fairing.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just looking for some bat wing pics. with a xm radio installed. are any of the units water proof? thanks