Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm/sirius radios

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
Ultra89, did you get an antenna with a much shorter cable? Mine is like 20'.

I'd like the convenience of a bar mount, but don't want the wires tie-wrapped to my internally wired bars.

So, you don't use the aux port for sound? You using one of those FM-direct kits? Does it work well? Have to change channels on the HK when traveling?
I use the regular magnetic antenna with the long line. I just bundle the extra cable under the fairing. You will have a problem to run the wires inside the handlebars unless you run them first. The ends can not be removed.

By mounting the Docking station on the handlebar, I just have the three thin wires (power, antenna, and radio out). Having it on the left handlebar, I can change channels on the SIRIUS without moving my hand much.

I am using the FM Direct Kit to put the sound on an FM Frequency. I found one that does not have another station already using. When I turn the SIRIUS on, the outside radio is reduced. Around town, I still can use the KW to listen to local Terrestrial radio without turning my SIRIUS off. I found that when I travel across country, and there is a station on that frequency, it does not make any difference. So, in a nut shell, I think it works great. And I don't have any wires on the front of the radio. When I get caught in rain, I have a small cover that I put over the SIRIUS so I can keep listening. If I had a wire running in the AUX port, I would worry about water getting in the open port.
And I still have the AUX port open for anything I want to add at a later time.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starmate Replay 5. I attached an old radar detector visor clip to the car mount bracket piece and clip it to my windshield pouch and then can put in pouch out of sight when bike is parked

Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
irishjig13
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check Sirius Store, I bought a motorcycle kit from them, b.racket wasn't the best so I upgraded the bracket with one from Kurakyn. The antenna has it's own little pearch that mounts with the base of the radio, radio kit comes with a weather resistan cover fo rthe radio. I plug it in to the Aux lug on the radio and it works great. I mounted mine on the clutch bracket. It comes with a good selection of hardware to fit your application, btw I have an 03 Ultra. - Good Luck

Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an H-D XM module in my '09 Ultra Classic and like it a lot. I hardly ever listen to anything else.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
lilricky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have to find a place for the "puck"

Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
The easiest and cleanest (not the most inexpensive) way is to get the XM module from H-D. It attaches to the head unit inside of the fairing and works thru the faceplate and hand controls.

I opted for a $45 Sirius Stratus 6 radio that isn't mounted yet. Right now it is in the left glove box, so that it is accessible while traveling. I will likely mount it to the top of the compartment lid using an eCaddy.
Photo below... not a pretty sight.

that is how mine looks for now

Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

anybdy hard wire the power without using the cigarette lighter adapter? heard ya can't do it cause of some resistor or sumthen in the lighter plug

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
road_king_rob
Tourer

I can't get the app to consistently run on my droid HTC Hero or I would be using it.

Last week I bought the XMp3i portable satellite radio. It works good, but I don't like not having pre-set buttons. It's impossible to safely change channels while riding. I think I might pick up the Starmate or Onyx.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up everything for someone needing money. Sirius Starmate 5 everything for 150.00
and best of all it has a lifetime subscription of all the channels. never have to pay a cent again for it. NICE!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
_Andy_
Cruiser

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...e3c4c7ca52en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4f1caf1d9fen02

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/sirius-vehicle-power-hardwire-kit

This is what all I used for my setup. I've got the radio unit sitting in my center windshield bag so that it's out of sight. I wired the power supply originally to a power/lighter socket under the fairing connected to the back of the cigarette lighter on the fairing and then got the power adapter later on

Quick Reply: xm/sirius radios