Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer issue

I have been trading at the local Harley Davidson dealership in my hometown. I did have a problem with them over a sale when I was shopping but just chauked it up as typical dealer techniques and went elsewhere for my bike purchase.

I have bought over 2,500.00 in accesories, rear tire, motorclothes, etc... The deal is the parts/accessories counter people are very knowledgable (the ones I know and always go to) and they have a rewards program where 10% of any purchase (parts/accessories/service) goes on the card. When you reach 500 points (dollars) you recieve 50.00 in goods or service. I had 1,000 points on my card and when I went in for a couple of small items the girl said my card had expired and I lost my 100 bucks of what I call Chrome money. Really irritated me that they didnt tell me the card was only good for one year and the points earned are not transferable to the new card.

I didn't want to burn my bridge there because I might need them for something later but I think I'm done trading at this dealership. The lack of caring for someone who comes in there multible times a month and spends money just burns my shorts. I want and try to buy local to keep my tax dollars in my home town but to hell with this place. I'm going for the best bang for the buck now.

I'm I wrong for feeling this way?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmmm, see your point but ignorance of THEIR program on your part is no excuse for your misgivings. Experience is one of Life's great teachers.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

sorry man. I hate fine print.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a simular incident happen to me, and the dealer still gave me a discount, I admit I would've been mad also. In my case they discontinued the program without notification.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Am in one of those programs at a stealer too. They emailed all the members to remind us of the upcoming "point" expirations. I thought that was cool of them to warn us.
I have online access to my points and all the terms and conditions. Kind of a gimmick but it can save some bones..

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Dealer points

MY DEALER HAD A PROGRAM, DON'T REMEMBER WHAT THEY CALLED IT, AIN'T GONNA TELL THEIR NAME, BUT FIRST TIME I USED IT I HAD 130.$ IN POINTS SO I USED IT ALL PLUS 5.$ & COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER THE GUY AXED ME IF I KNEW HOW MUCH POINTS I HAD. SAID NO AND HE CHECKED AND SAID I HAD 130.$ ! I WAS VERY COOL AND SELECTED 130.$ OF THINGS I JUST HAD TO HAVE ! THAT WAS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND I STILL DON'T FEEL GUILTY.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
MY DEALER HAD A PROGRAM, DON'T REMEMBER WHAT THEY CALLED IT, AIN'T GONNA TELL THEIR NAME, BUT FIRST TIME I USED IT I HAD 130.$ IN POINTS SO I USED IT ALL PLUS 5.$ & COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER THE GUY AXED ME IF I KNEW HOW MUCH POINTS I HAD. SAID NO AND HE CHECKED AND SAID I HAD 130.$ ! I WAS VERY COOL AND SELECTED 130.$ OF THINGS I JUST HAD TO HAVE ! THAT WAS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND I STILL DON'T FEEL GUILTY.

"PRICE CHOPPIN' CHARLIE"

Hell, call 'em again!

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky06Roadking
I have been trading at the local Harley Davidson dealership in my hometown. I did have a problem with them over a sale when I was shopping but just chauked it up as typical dealer techniques and went elsewhere for my bike purchase.

I have bought over 2,500.00 in accesories, rear tire, motorclothes, etc... The deal is the parts/accessories counter people are very knowledgable (the ones I know and always go to) and they have a rewards program where 10% of any purchase (parts/accessories/service) goes on the card. When you reach 500 points (dollars) you recieve 50.00 in goods or service. I had 1,000 points on my card and when I went in for a couple of small items the girl said my card had expired and I lost my 100 bucks of what I call Chrome money. Really irritated me that they didnt tell me the card was only good for one year and the points earned are not transferable to the new card.

I didn't want to burn my bridge there because I might need them for something later but I think I'm done trading at this dealership. The lack of caring for someone who comes in there multible times a month and spends money just burns my shorts. I want and try to buy local to keep my tax dollars in my home town but to hell with this place. I'm going for the best bang for the buck now.

I'm I wrong for feeling this way?
Obviously, you didn't read the fine print. Anyway, you bought $2,500 worth of parts and accessories which gave you a whopping 1,000 points worth $100. It's better than nothing but it's only 4%.
I'm glad I buy pretty much everything online at 20% off with no sales tax. I could give 2 sh*ts if my hard earned money is spent locally or not.
You'll save much more than 4% by shopping around and doing your homework, believe me.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 'stealership' luckily honored a 20% discount on an estimate that was over 4 months old. They used to give 20% off for local HOG chapter members-in-good-standing. But, sometime between January and April, they reduced it to 15% with no warning. Hey, a discount is a discount. It more than pays the tax. However, with regards to parts, chrome or motorclothes, they usually don't have enough in stock necessitating an order. Their delivery service comes by way of "Pony Express." So, due to their store consolidation and new management, I have taken my business elsewhere out of town.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'd love to be able to buy locally, but there are so many dealers in Maryland that none deal. HD of Maryland used to give me 10% off on parts, accessories, and clothes, but they've closed their doors. It sucks having to plan my purchases ahead of time and wait for them to be shipped, but I'm not going to pay MSRP for stuff.

Quick Reply: Dealer issue