Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New toy for the Glide....XM

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New toy for the Glide....XM

Tired of burning mp3 CDs and crappy radio reception. Actually the crappy reception is a relief sometimes because it seems all of the music stations are talk and commercials all of the time. Now I can listen to what I want when I want.

Name:  xm1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  xm3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  xm4.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  93.0 KB

Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New toy for the Glide....XM

Monstermile,

I have basically the same setup as you... and love it most of the time. I say most of the time because I frequently get a poor signal and loose the tunes for a second or too, in clear unobstructed space. Other than that I love it.

I did add one small feature to my setup that I don't see in you photos. I took a peice of Hook and Loop (velcro) and put four holes in the "Hook" side and mounted it between the the metal bracket and the plastic mount, with a section exposed to reach the back of the Roady XT where I put a strip of "loop". This serves to give me peace of mind that the Roady XT can't just pop out of its dock and seems to hold everything in place well.

Enjoy the tunes....

Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually what I plan to do is buy a second cradle and use some kind of strong silicone adhesive on it where it mounts to the back plate. That way I am pretty sure it isn't going anywhere. I'm more worried about the whole cradle popping off than the Roady coming off the cradle. Seems to be on there pretty tight.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Well took it out for a ride today for the first time with the XM. Tweaking is in order. First thing is when idling at peak vibration the Roady wants to jump out of the cradle. Didn't see that coming. I thought it was a snug enough fit. And with that particular mount and the location of the antenna sometimes if I am riding in a certain direction the Roady itself apparently blocks the signal and I lose it completely. Would suck if I was on a long stretch going in that particular direction. I'm gonna look into other options for the antenna and will try some velcro on the bottom of the Roady to see if that holds it in place.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice clean install!! I did the Sirius on a Ram mount on my RG. We have XM in my wifes car but I like the programming on Sirius better. JMO!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/2998F1F05DEA44BC9F384B3E273E309D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/B3A60B5427864A34A5D24E59D98D6FD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. Yours too. Hey which RAM mount is that. I have looked at their website and get confused with all of the different choices.

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

Nice clean install!! I did the Sirius on a Ram mount on my RG. We have XM in my wifes car but I like the programming on Sirius better. JMO!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/2998F1F05DEA44BC9F384B3E273E309D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/B3A60B5427864A34A5D24E59D98D6FD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A total agreement with the Sirius vs. XM. Programming for non-urban music has many more choices. Last year, when my truck was in the shop for a couple days, I left the unit in. My wrench was hooked and put one on his ultra! He still wonders how he got along without "Outlaw Country" and "Margaritaville" Aside from "The Vault" I've been on The Who channel quite a bit lately.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:01 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monstermile I see what your talking about now, Looks like my plate for a sirius streamer GTR is what you need instead of the oval plate like Phil's. I looked at cycle gadgets at the mount like yours and it's a amps hole pattern 1 1/2 x 1 3/16. My mount places your reciever near the center of the handlebar about 80% less shake there I'll check my buddies XM ski-view and make sure but that what it looks like to me.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bobby / MM,

The Roady XT comes with a swivel type bracket that may or may not be used with that HoonHardware mount.

I had the exact same setup before I got one of Bobby's mounts, but I used the swivel.

MM ~ check the left over stuff from your Roady kit. THere should be a swivel mount that attaches to the oval plate...???...

Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Phil, I was wondering about that. How was the bike run last weekend?

Quick Reply: New toy for the Glide....XM