Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need comparative info.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

I test rode a 2010 when I was in the market for a new ElectraGlide,was planning to buy it but felt the wider tires and new frame made the ride feel stiff and unresponsive.Jumped all over an '08 because it gave me all the new changes I wanted and none of the changes I didn't.Yes I ride it hard and no I don't have any problems.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
diddydido
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sallyman
If you like the bike - buy it and don't give it a second thought. The price seems high for an 08 considering you can buy a brand new black ultra for $23,350.......
Yeah, but then add on the HST (the big one), dealership fees, freight charges, PDI fee, etc., etc., and you're into a whole new bracket. Same goes for the 2011 EGCs - that $20,999 looks good, until you start adding in the fees and other charges, all of which add up (especially HST) at the end. The particular bike I'm eyeballing is a private sale.
Anything similar for sale on the Island? I'm only in NL...not that far away, if the price is right.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:44 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep on looking....

I'm in NS. I think the price for the 08 is waaay too high. You need to pay the HST on the price you pay for a used bike so the tax amount for new or used will be similar. New has warranty. Zero miles. New chassis. Etc. I bought my last 3 used Harley's in the US. Or call Privateers in Halifax for a quote.

Originally Posted by diddydido
Yeah, but then add on the HST (the big one), dealership fees, freight charges, PDI fee, etc., etc., and you're into a whole new bracket. Same goes for the 2011 EGCs - that $20,999 looks good, until you start adding in the fees and other charges, all of which add up (especially HST) at the end. The particular bike I'm eyeballing is a private sale.
Anything similar for sale on the Island? I'm only in NL...not that far away, if the price is right.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default you might want to ....

I bought two Harleys from these guys in New Hampshire. They are great to deal with. National Powersports. Check their website. I see an 09 RK Police with low mileage for $14k.

Originally Posted by diddydido

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

As you mustbe getting the drift, I too would also lean towards a 09 or later if it's in the budget. So many new improvements. Crap, even the one of having a tire thats 2 inches wider should fire ya up. Keep us posted.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the price may be a little high for an almost 4 year old bike, but I don't know what kind of extras you are talking about, as with anything, it's worth what ever somebody is willing to pay. Have you shopped around? BTW I have owned both frames pre 09 (07 EGC) and post 09 (10 RG) and the later truly does ride better IMO, but I wouldn't skip a really good deal on a pre 09, IMO I think if you're patient you can get a better deal, but once again what kind of extras are you talking about.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 AM
diddydido
Cruiser

I can see the light, now. I called the guy this morning and bowed out of the deal.
Right or wrong, there are ultimately two issues: there seems to be some validity to the benefits of having a later model bike (although, this is not to say that the older ones are no good), and secondly, most seem to think it's overpriced.
Well, the my money isn't burning a hole in my pocket, I'll just have to be patient.
Thanks guys for the help. I'm sure I'll be posting whatever I buy.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 AM
diddydido
Cruiser

One more thing: as I'm looking, I'm searching for 09-later touring models (i.e.Streetglide, EGC, U/C) - what would be considered too many kms./miles?
For example, I see an American EGC for $16500, with 31090 miles/50034 kms. Is this too much, acceptable,...? (Just so I know how to look.)
Thanks.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Will just try to keep it simple Owned a 08 EGS gave me 21,000 trouble free miles and now a 09 Ultra .. There is Frame improvements yes but would consider a Good buy on an 08 by good buy I mean a substantial difference between that an 09 say at around 2,000 otherwise go with 09 up ..

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Go with the new chasis. I went to the dealership & test rode an '08 ($18,999) & it rode well. Then hopped on a '10 & noticed a difference in the ride immediately (much smoother & responsive) left the dealer with the '10. Besides, the price between the too isn't much at all, so it only made sense to buy new.

Quick Reply: Need comparative info.