Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big sky fan cooling numbers & satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM
indigofarm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big sky fan cooling numbers & satisfaction

Morning

I am thinking of purchasing a fan for the oil cooler

1. I was inquiring if anyone on the forum had documented drop in temps with or without it?

2. Were you satisfied with it? There is some hesitation that they might not be able to handle all the water and grime from the road

Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

on my last bike I ran a Jagg 10 row low mount with the Big Sky Fan kit , I was caught in rain and everything else and never had an issue , they worked well , see pictures

Attached Thumbnails big sky fan cooling numbers & satisfaction-jagg-001.jpg   big sky fan cooling numbers & satisfaction-jagg-002.jpg  
Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My experience with cooler fans is that they do help when stationary and you need some airflow over the cooler, but although they don't stop the ascent of oil temperatures they will slow it down somewhat. The problem with fans in that environment is that it is hot and potentially dusty and wet, and if you install these I would check them periodically for proper operation, as when the bike is running I never could hear them.

Big Sky uses IP54 fans, which have some water- and dust-resistant properties, but I think it'll take time before the jury comes back with a verdict on the long-term durability of these. I also don't know who makes them, the temperature range they're designed to work within, or anything about the thermostat arrangement that he uses. If I was buying one of those kits I would get the fans and use the manual ACC switch on the dash (EG) or nacelle (RK), or add a second.

Over time I'm leaning toward favoring an engine fan as the best solution to cooling when in gridlock traffic, like the HD or Lenale fans. The HD is expensive, and in my case I have no place to put my air horns if I installed one, as the horns are too important to abandon. Even worse than cooler fans an engine fan will be constantly baked by engine heat, and I would want to make sure replacement fans were available at a reasonable price. The HD fan motor alone is $185 MSRP ($132 at Zanotti's), which is very pricey, but I don't know about the price of a LaNale replacement fan. I also don't have any info on how long either fan will last in that environment.

I also thought about rigging a small motorcycle radiator fan that will fit somewhere behind the air horns on the left side of the motor, but I have yet to find one small enough. I suspect (without evidence) that one or both of these engine fans is a radiator fan adapted for that use.

Last edited by iclick; 05-29-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

I never said

Thanks guys

I am still considering a lanale type

I rode 170 miles today in 98deg temps lots of stop and go

Oil temp gauge registered 260 the whole time

TMS came on at most stop lights

Bike ran great. And good to be out

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

Ps. Thanks click

Your responses are always dead on and articulate
Cheers

Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've run my Lenale for 2 years trouble free so far. That's rain, dust, mud (got taken down a shortcut and had to tie straps to it while i walked it out) and temps down to 11 degrees F. I'm well satisfied with it.