Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil brand do you use? Dealer told me they will not warranty amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jlkansascity
I heard the "skating bearing" myth just a couple of weeks ago. It's not dead yet! I had taken my 2000 Neon in for a Missouri inspection, and they were trying to upsell me on everything including an oil change even though the car has 218,000 miles on Amsoil. The talk turned to HD, and the manager said they hate synthetics because it makes the bearings skate. I have two HD's, so I asked him if he knew that HD now makes, pushes and sells their own Synthetic now (Syn3) and he didn't even know that.
Glad to hear the old myth is still alive, as I need a chuckle every now and then. Well, I'm not really glad. The first time I heard it was in around 1997, and although it sounded ludicrous I decided to give Torrington a call. Obviously they make bearings and I talked with one of their engineers who was amused by the idea, saying he had never heard it before. He said "If the oil is too slick to make the bearing roll, thus making it "skate," it is also too slick to impose any wear." Think about it, as that makes sense. He said the only time a roller bearing might "skate" is in a centrifuge where no load is on the bearing, and a no-load condition will never happen in an internal-combustion engine, especially in an HD with such a heavy flywheel.

We'd probably be appalled by the number of people who are taken-in by this type of BS, though.

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
And remember, they must PROVE that whatever aftermarket oil or parts you might have used actually CAUSED the failure in order for them to void a warrenty.

They won't put it in writing, because if they said you have to use HD oil, then by law, they MUST supply it FREE

Its unfortunate, but you have a dealer that is trying to use scare tactics in order to enhance his bussiness, and get more money out of you, by giving you bullshit info.
They don't need to prove it, you must prove it. If they lose, you can try and go after 3X damages. They have something you want "warranty work", if they deny it to you then you can take them to court and prove that you lived up to the stipulations of the warranty. The 3X thing is only if they blatantly tried to mislead and cover it up.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 PM
powerman1972
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

If the dealership in my area said you couldnt use amsoil they'd be outta business! Amsoil HQ is right in my backyard. I asked the service rep at my dealership about using amsoil and the whole warranty thing. He said that Amsoil is ok to use according to the moco. He also said that if they would loose alot of customers if they denied the use of Amsoil, since one of there biggest customers is a relation of Al Amatuzio, the founder of Amsoil.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Best thing I ever did was ditch the Syn3...
Maybe this question is better for a different thread, but what's so wrong with the Syn 3 that ditching it could be the best thing you ever did?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
see you're in Michigan, don't know what part but in my neck of the woods they closed the only dealer I had any respect for last year (American in Ann Arbor) now I'm stuck with either Motor City or Brighton HD and have little confidence in either one for any type of work. Brighton tried the same **** with me when I purchased a bike there after American closed, told me they wouldn't honor the warranty if I did my own maintenance. Haven't been in there since for service or parts, now I just get the little things I need ASAP at Motor City and the rest of my business goes to LSHD where you get a 20% discount and no sales tax and free shipping if it's $500 or more.
Just for info purposes, Most of the staff from American, ended up at Brighton as they were both owned by the same person. I used to go to Brighton for all my work (only by thier head tech.) but last time I went, and as always stated that I wanted a certian tech to perform the work, they had someone else to the job. That won't cut it with me, and I refuse to go back. If I need anything done I can't handle myself, I have a good friend that helps me out, or does the job for me.

If I really need a dealership (warrenty work) I'll go to Motor City. They have a good reputation, and I have several friends that have all thier work done there.