Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pak freak out

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 PM
DarrenUltra010
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pak freak out

So headed out today with the total V&H setup complete feeling great all day rode well bike performed well except i had been noticing in 6th gear no real acceleration at high speeds. This was never an issue until I installed the Fuel Pak. So today my wife and I are riding on the interstate far left lane at 75-80 and I lose any power when I twist the throttle then engine light comes on Motor Revs to 4k no throttle response lots of burping when i twist the throttle. So i make a scary but safe get over 4 lanes and get off the interstate pull over turn the bike off give everything a look over and start the bike. No sputtering no nothing. I fuel up take it easy for a few and ponder the situation and we decided well maybe it was just a fluke. 15 miles with no problem at highway speeds and It happens again but no crazy engine just a sputtering throttle when I twist it. Concerned I pull off and call my uncle with a trailer to come get us. We are 50 miles from home all interstate and I tell my uncle what happened he said Take that Fuel Pak off and try it. I did it worked and although running REALLY lean Throttle was on time no burping no nothing. Acceleration was great like it used to be 85+ to 90 still pulling hard. I was like that Fuel Pak has just took a dump. I was just wanting to see if there were any others like this. Im in touch with V&H on this for warranty. Maybe bad Fuel Pak, Got to Hot? Dunno. We made it home in one piece but I concerned about the Fuel Pak now. Any feedback helps.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
JFuego777
6th Gear

I know there are tons of different opinions on this subject...but I highly recommend the SE super race tuner...there's just so much you can do with it...I know it's pricey but it's worth it

Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 AM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

I had a FuelPak on my '04 Standard. Thought it would be a good idea because I also had V&H pipes.

At a four-way intersection as the light turned green and I began to accelerate, the bike died. I lost all power. What was the last mod? The FuelPak, so I took it off.

After, the bike ran lean but without further issues, and I installed a PCIII that I had zero problems with.

FuelPaks are not something I'm a fan of. My preference is the PCV with autotune. YMMV

Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a V&H FuelPak on my bike for about 3k miles w/out any issues. Any electronic item can be defective. I've read of other problems with SEPST/TTS/PCV/etc too. Is the FuelPak under warranty? Give V&H a call. I bet they're willing to work with you...

Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 AM
DarrenUltra010
Advanced

Fuel Pak Is under warranty. Im gonna get with them on Tuesday they are off for the holiday weekend. Im not sure if I should ride without the Fuel Pak dont wanna damage anything by running on the stock ECM with the mods.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:52 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had the same fuel pak for 3 1/2 years and over 26,000 miles without any issues. Your problem is far from catastrophic.

Check your inputs or call vance and hines.

There have been problems with power commanders as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
DarrenUltra010
Advanced

Well that is good to know! I am a firm believer in the V&H products had nothing but success with their products. I know they will get it right. I just want it to work right. I believe i did the proper setup. There are a few of the parameters that are not on the sheet from the website and I will ask V&H about that. Never know until you ask.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 311 Likes on 120 Posts

Leave the engine as it cam from the factory, except pipes. You'll be much happier.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM
DarrenUltra010
Advanced

I have done no engine work except bolt on ac and pipes with fuel pak. No Cams No heads no nothing. I am just apprehensive to ride with the stock ECM until problem is solved.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you unplug the fuelpak, the ecu will adjust to the pipes and A/C to some degree since you have O2 sensors. It will be lean but I don't think you will be any worse off than stock. If it feels like it's getting really hot or it goes into high heat mode (shuts down a cylinder when idling) then I would probably not want to ride it until you talk to V&H.

Quick Reply: Fuel pak freak out