Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice, congrats

Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leo, sitting still is about as good as my home stereo... it is incredible! Moving is still way better than stock, took a short 200mi ride with my wife and she loves the rear speakers! She said that she can hear them loud and clear!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm doing a **** load of research on head units. What made you choose the alpine? have you had any weather-related issues?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior

stupid rope, no weather issues as of yet, I do have the plastic cover plate for the stereo but it wont fit over the faceplate due to me having the HD chrome trim around the stereo opening... I try not to get water on the stereo itself. I know in rain it is pretty covered from the fairing itself so my only real worry will be washing the bike!

I chose the Alpine cause that is what the installed suggested... I love it! Ipod is wired to the saddle bag and that is also where the amp is...

PM me if you have more questions!

Good luck with your research

Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rerb95
stupid rope, no weather issues as of yet, I do have the plastic cover plate for the stereo but it wont fit over the faceplate due to me having the HD chrome trim around the stereo opening...
I keep meaning to post this info !!

I took my scoot to the car wash last weekend, and before I went, I thought, " I'll just use my BIKETRONICS radio splash cover, for safe keeping"..............

Well, I soon found out that it WON'T FIT inside of the HD chrome radio/gauge trim piece. UGH.

So,..................if anyone WITHOUT the chrome trim, would like a 'splash cover' for your radio, let me know !!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior

GlacierPearl, I recently found out the same thing... what are you gonna do now? Any suggestions? I thought about trying to trim the biketronics one, but not sure that will work. Also I saw a Kuryakin chrome piece with a spash cover I will look some more for it...

Let me know if you have any ideas?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simple. Remove the chrome trim, problem solved. Looks better too.

Shakey

Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
HDsmkr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup!! I just finished the install on my glide and debated those bagger lids bit just stuck to the fairing speakers... For now!

It's definitely a chore to wire these things up!! I managed to fit the crossovers from the Boston Pro60se speakers and my little JL audio xd200.2 in the fairing... NOT easy! LoL

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
I'm doing a **** load of research on head units. What made you choose the alpine? have you had any weather-related issues?

I had a sony (biketronics and wasnt impressed) in my 08 FLHT and installed a alpine idx-200 in my 2010 limited....that being said the Alpine sucked!! I am an alpine fan for more than 20 yrs and this head unit just sounded like poo.......Keep in mind I am not a fan and dont own a ipod which is what the deck was designed for.....I went back to a Sony 650UI (I installed one in a buds bike) and it is, by far, the best "cheap" radio made!! It sounds amazing!! and has a pile of features. I use a flash drive filled with music and it sounds almost as good as my truck stereo ($3000 Eclipse and JL Audio system) at the same volume... Sony has come a long way.

Also keep in mind that "marine" head units ARE NOT waterproof! I called Sony and a few others asking what is done to the unit. Its not what you think.....

Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDsmkr
It's definitely a chore to wire these things up!! I managed to fit the crossovers from the Boston Pro60se speakers and my little JL audio xd200.2 in the fairing... NOT easy! LoL
The BA Pro60SE crossovers are QUITE large !!! Used velcro to mount them to the head unit..

Quick Reply: 08 Street Glide stereo upgrade