Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
Sorry guys forgot, do they come with glove boxes or is that a HD add on for as little as 169.95?
Nope...glove box inserts are separate option/added price (of course). Stock lowers come w/snap-on cover & inside is plastic...glove/liners give the cushy innerds, but I kept mine stock.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
screw the heat on your legs what about the extra motor heat. I have tts mastertune and did data gathering with lowers on and off and with off on same course conditions the engine temp was always lower with the lowers off. this was in fairly cool weather (under 60*) so not sure what difference it would make in 90* temps.
I have also done some checking on my own scooter with the lowers on and off. I found that at speeds over 25 mph mine actually runs cooler with the lowers ON.

Now my buddy had the soft lowers and his actually ran hotter with them on then it did with them off.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about the soft lowers but my bags are alredy full. I am one of those Bagger Hoarders you have heard about. You will see the show, "Only on Bravo", in the fall.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave mine on year round. Helps with the rainy season here in SW FL, helps with some wind buffeting especially if wearing a helmet. Without them, the wind gets underneath the sun visor on my helmet and lifts it. So I like them on year round

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I always keep mine on even 100 degrees weather here just open the adjustable vents, feels little hot when in stop n go traffic but here in Ca you can split lanes and keep moving.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never taken mine off in the summer. They actually channel more air into the engine for cooling.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
or you can avoid doing any cutting and just remove the doors during the summer months and then reinstall them in the fall.

from what i've heard, the engine temps are actually lower. the way the lowers are designed, they funnel air right to the cylinders. now i can't say that i've got the equipment to actually measure this to verify if its true or not....

I had read the same thing in American Iron but if you have a TTS Masterune it has a data collection function and engine temp (heads not oil) is logged. I can say that on my particular bike (2011 RGU) engine temps per data logging are lower without the lowers. fresh Air intake temps were also higher with lowers in place. It would be interesting to see if others with data logging capabilities had the same results. I would perfer to leave mine on but after seeing the data I have mine off.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
screw the heat on your legs what about the extra motor heat. I have tts mastertune and did data gathering with lowers on and off and with off on same course conditions the engine temp was always lower with the lowers off. this was in fairly cool weather (under 60*) so not sure what difference it would make in 90* temps.
I've found them to make no major difference with oil temperature on my bike. HD claims they actually help cooling when moving but may trap air when stationary and elevate engine temps.

With lowers I run oil temps of around 200-205° when moving >45mph in summer (S. LA), and 230° is the limit so far in gridlock traffic, but when moving even in slow city traffic it's rare to see temps climb >210°F in summer. Keep in mind that I have an oil cooler, which is very important in controlling oil temps, IMO. I can monitor head temperatures, etc., in real time on my Power Vision display unit, and they stay at around 225-235° in 90°+ weather while moving along on the backroads, going up as speed decreases but rarely >280° in traffic. I didn't have a way to check head temps before adding the lowers, so I don't know the difference with vs. without. I run stoich (14.6:1), which makes head temps run a bit higher than richer AFRs. I think my engine temps are in control and well within an acceptable range, so I won't be removing the lowers to do any testing with and without.

Last edited by iclick; 05-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Now my buddy had the soft lowers and his actually ran hotter with them on then it did with them off.
HD warns you not to use soft lowers when air temps are >50°F.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
Sorry guys forgot, do they come with glove boxes or is that a HD add on for as little as 169.95?
they do come complete. but like iceman said, the inserts are extra. but you don't have to have the insert. if you just want the basic box, with the snap on lid. it is included.

Quick Reply: fairing lowers