Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are not vented and they stay on year round. I don't use the boards much as I has the adjustable highway pegs and that is were my feet are 99% of the time unless it is cold,cold,cold.

I don't have to fight the wind on my legs all the time especially if I am switching from the boards to the pegs. I took them off once and could not stand fighting the wind trying to blow my legs back behind my back all the time.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It only takes a few minutes to install or remove the lowers, even with the standard hardware. The quick install hardware can't save much more than about 5 minutes time, if that. It is much better looking than the standard hardware, though, and I'd consider buying it for that reason.

I usually pull my lowers off in July and August, unless I'm going on a road trip, and then they go back on.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There are several threads on the topic of removing lowers in summer. Some do, most don't. I bought the quick-release kit with the lowers but it was a waste of money, as I've never removed them in >3 years. Even if you plan on removing the lowers periodically, don't waste your money on this overpriced kit.

I don't find lowers hot in our S. LA summers and I like the rain protection and lack of wind that causes my pant leg to flap violently. Traditionalists will roll their eyes around at the latter remark, but I would rather have it calm down there. I've ridden many years the other way and I like it better with the lowers installed year-round, and in winter it is no contest for obvious reasons. Some remove the vents in summer, but I haven't felt the need to do that.

They tend to radiate some engine noise but also reduce wind that comes up from under the tank.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

screw the heat on your legs what about the extra motor heat. I have tts mastertune and did data gathering with lowers on and off and with off on same course conditions the engine temp was always lower with the lowers off. this was in fairly cool weather (under 60*) so not sure what difference it would make in 90* temps.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
before you install them , look at the vents in the full open position , you will see when fully open half the opening is still closed , mark this area on vent door remove the door and cut that area out then reistall the vent door , now when open it is fully open and much cooler , you still have plenty left to close the door

or you can avoid doing any cutting and just remove the doors during the summer months and then reinstall them in the fall.

Originally Posted by mtclassic
screw the heat on your legs what about the extra motor heat. I have tts mastertune and did data gathering with lowers on and off and with off on same course conditions the engine temp was always lower with the lowers off. this was in fairly cool weather (under 60*) so not sure what difference it would make in 90* temps.
from what i've heard, the engine temps are actually lower. the way the lowers are designed, they funnel air right to the cylinders. now i can't say that i've got the equipment to actually measure this to verify if its true or not....

Last edited by skratch; 05-29-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure it depends on how hot it gets where you ride. Here in upstate NY it helps extend the riding time. Lots of rain and cool to cold weather.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Initially bought them w/intention of removing during summer months...now only time I take them off is to clean. Got awesome CraigsList deal (color match HD w/quick detach kit) so couldn't pass. Really help w/wind on legs and actually force airflow toward motor during riding. Does generate more heat while idle, but minimal. Detach kit does make removal/install much easier...JMO.

Last edited by Iceman24; 05-29-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what i am hopeing to gain Suprpig, the forecast might be 75 degrees at 3PM, but at 6am it is 46 degres. I guess I'm a wuss, but i hate freeezing my **** off on my way to work, on my way to fun I can deal. Just hopeing to be able to leave them on, as far as engine noise, my bike is stock, no big build here. Appreciate the feed back as usual, but, the damn things are pricey. I looked on ebay to get a set even if different color and have them painted, when all was said and done it was cheaper from Kutter HD with the open house 20 % off. Now just waiting for delivery. I guess if they are too hot I can throw a huge sub woofer in them and get some air from them. I hope momma doesn't read this, she just doesn't understand I do all this tweaking on the bike for her. lol

Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

Sorry guys forgot, do they come with glove boxes or is that a HD add on for as little as 169.95?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Default HawgWired

Installed the four in the face (speakers in the lowers) so they ain't coming off. Rode the other day @ 93 degrees out, helps slightly with wind buffering, fully open didn't notice any additional heat build up.

Quick Reply: fairing lowers