Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra Handlebar Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
flashhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Ultra Handlebar Options

Read thru and asked via sticky post on handlebars but still unclear on best options and hope the group can help.

The bike: 09 Ultra Classic w/ ABS, stock seat with Harley adjustable backrest added.
The rider: 6'3" 31" inseam (= long torso) 35" shirt arm size and sits up straight and sometimes leans back.
The problem: throttle wrist pain after couple hours due to awkward angle that ***** wrist to right on stock handlebars. I hear many have same complaint. Some shoulder pain after a couple hours but that's probably me just getting old...

The solution: ???

Dealer says the "Tall Boy" (56184-08) best option (from him). 1.5" higher, 2" further away from body, with straighter wrist angle. No need to change clutch or brake lines. Maybe need to change throttle sensor line.

Forum says WO 508, or the 507, or the ??? The WO website didn't really help me so before I call them, thought I'd post here.

I sat on the new Road Glide Ultra and really liked the angle of that bar a lot but it apparently won't fit on my Ultra.

So, which bar to solve the wrist problem that (in a perfect world) doesn't require changing any lines or wires that will save some cash? Not a fan of ape-hangers, but not against raising the bar a bit...

Thanks much all!

Bob

Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

i just installed the wo575 mainly for pullback and just a little hieght and like the wrist angle,had harley reach on for one day and hated the wrist angle.ergo up and ergo back bars both have a very flat wrist angle dont know if these will require cables.kromeweks +2 sweepers are also a popular bar on this forum.the 575 and +2 can be used with stock cables but clutch requires rerouting,most just replace it with a +4 cable.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flashhog
Read thru and asked via sticky post on handlebars but still unclear on best options and hope the group can help.

The bike: 09 Ultra Classic w/ ABS, stock seat with Harley adjustable backrest added.
The rider: 6'3" 31" inseam (= long torso) 35" shirt arm size and sits up straight and sometimes leans back.
The problem: throttle wrist pain after couple hours due to awkward angle that ***** wrist to right on stock handlebars. I hear many have same complaint. Some shoulder pain after a couple hours but that's probably me just getting old...

The solution: ???

Dealer says the "Tall Boy" (56184-08) best option (from him). 1.5" higher, 2" further away from body, with straighter wrist angle. No need to change clutch or brake lines. Maybe need to change throttle sensor line.

Forum says WO 508, or the 507, or the ??? The WO website didn't really help me so before I call them, thought I'd post here.

I sat on the new Road Glide Ultra and really liked the angle of that bar a lot but it apparently won't fit on my Ultra.

So, which bar to solve the wrist problem that (in a perfect world) doesn't require changing any lines or wires that will save some cash? Not a fan of ape-hangers, but not against raising the bar a bit...

Thanks much all!

Bob
I've got the same issue with the stock handlbars on my '09 Ultra Classic except that I need about 2" more pull-back.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will likely need to change out the clutch cable on most any +2" bars. Some will tell you that if you reroute the clutch cable you won't have to, but I thought it would look a little "hackish" so opted for new cable when I installed +2 sweeper from Khrome Werks on my '10 ultra. No more wrist pain. I have a bum shoulder and didn't want to go with apes. If you do a search on these bars, you will find pages of good comments as well as on the Wild One bars, there are also pics comparing the sweepers to the stock bars. I didn't bother feeding the wires internally except for the throttle wire, and the clutch cable isn't that hard to replace, just takes time. I was concerned that these bars would be a bad choice since they were only $80 (ordered thru my dealer) compared to the WO @ $200, but I really like them. Brake lines are no problem with +2. Good luck on your choice, dealers are no help since they don't want to hear complaints if the bars are not right for you. If you have any mechnical apptitude, do the work yourself, the dealers will charge you alot.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 PM
taximan62
Intermediate

I have a set of Klock Werks Ergo Up bars on my 09 Ultra and they are great. I have an extra set if you are interested.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Klock-W...ductId=-233602

Old 05-28-2011, 10:46 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You may not like the 575's. Wrist angle is the same, but 2 inches wider. 2 inches more height is nice. Your problem with them may be the 2 inches closer to you. I don't have the reach you do, but really noticed that 2 extra inches closer. Just pushed mine forward against the fairing and was OK. Top quality bars though. I pulled my clutch cable and re routed it. No problem. It was originally ran around and behind the radio. I ran it under and gained a few inches and was able to keep it routed through the fairing. Some say you have to re route it outside the fairing, but I did not.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 AM
flashhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by taximan62
I have a set of Klock Werks Ergo Up bars on my 09 Ultra and they are great. I have an extra set if you are interested.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Klock-W...ductId=-233602
These look great. I love how they show the difference relative to stock on their website -- easy-to-understand graphics. And I love how they don't require any cable/line changes.

Today dealers quoted 9 hrs labor to change bars, putting this little exercise way over willingness to pay unless I do it myself.

Will send note about your spare set.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not knocking the dealers, they have to pay the techs working on the bikes and it does take some time, even tho 9hrs labor seemed a little too much since it only took me 5 hrs and I had never replaced a clutch cable on a harley before. If you have tools and can read the manual, you should be good to go. You can always post about a problem and get help here.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Kevin471964
5th Gear

Hello, I may have just missed it, but which bars did you go with?