Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Kick Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Harleymax1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Kick Back

Hi,
Recently my 05 EG started to have starter kick backs, one so bad that it broke the front shifter linkage out of the socket. So I've read up in the forums and I keep hearing a lot about the Power Commander, as well as the SE compensator. At this point I have done nothing since I've never had a problem like this and like to get some advise on where to start.

I tried the method of starting the engine right away while the fuel pump cycles but I still had kick back, just not as bad as before.

My setup is as follows:
PC III USB (2 years old)
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Long Shots
Rest is stock

I checked out the SE Comp, but couldn't find one for my 05. Besides, before I spend 200 bucks I'd like to make sure that's the solution. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch

Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the SE compensator is for '07 and newer bikes. If I were you, and I was relatively sure my tune was OK (timing), I'd start with the battery and move on to the starter clutch.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM
shopmonster
6th Gear
Default starter

My 05 did the same thing. Like stro1965 said, I found the starter clutch bad. Bike acts like it has a bad ground when the starter clutch starts to go bad then eventually it won't engage at all. Starts like a new one when you replace it.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Harleymax1
4th Gear

I took the bike out yesterday and found that when I press the start button for a spit second and let go and then press and hold to start it works most of the time without kick back. However, during my trials I also noticed that at times when it does kick back there's a kind of singing noise afterwards, kind of like something's still turning somewhere which I would attribute to the starter still turning perhaps??? Another thing that's weird is that while driving I had the bike momentarily stall on me twice. All instruments went dead for a second and then the engine came back. I am now wondering if this is related to the PC III USB? If the kick back is due to bad timing from the PC and also results in the stalling out then the problem might be a faulty PC altogether, or of course a wiring problem somewhere. I guess I will start with the battery and then go on to taking the PC out of the loop. If it still does it then I guess I don't have a choice but to check out the starter clutch. What do you guys think?
Thank you both for the help thus far.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Losing power altogether REALLY makes me think battery and battery cables. But don't automatically assume that the 2 issues are directly related. You COULD have a weak battery and/or loose cables, the starter clutch could be bad, all at the same time that your ignition switch is going south.

Last edited by stro1965; 06-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,834 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Can't address the other problem, but the "singing" is definitely the starter clutch.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Harleymax1
4th Gear

Thanks guys. This is getting better by the minute.

I don't have the time today, so I guess next weekend I will start with the battery and work my way through. Please stay posted as I may have more questions as I go along. It seems things got a lot easier with the 06 or 07 models regarding pulling shi. off the engine ... go figure.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Harleymax1
4th Gear

So ... I pulled the PC and since I did the bike did not stall on me, go figure. That surely does not make any sense to me.

Anyhow, I went to Iron Horse and the mechanic told me to pull off the starter cap and check the solenoids. I did, but I cannot find anything out of the ordinary. I also have no idea what to look for really.

I attached a few pictures for those who know what they're looking at.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Starter Kick Back-p6070090.jpg   Starter Kick Back-p6070082.jpg   Starter Kick Back-p6070089.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock starter clutch is a light duty clutch. it makes a terrible noise when it is failing. Most of the time it is on hot starts.Get a heavy duty clutch. Motorcycle Electric Suppliers Part no MECL20-NL

Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Harleymax1
4th Gear

I've gathered as much I guess. The question I have is: Why is it failing in the first place? It wasn't like it's always been doing it and only started recently. Does it have anything to do with the battery? Someone also suggested a lose cable.
Thanks for your reply

Quick Reply: Starter Kick Back