Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on a sound system for my 2010 Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Gizza408
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on a sound system for my 2010 Road Glide?

What's going on ya'll? I'm new to posting on here. I read the posts from time to time though. So I have a 2010 Red Road Glide. I just received my lower fairings with the 6.5 speaker boxes from HD. There getting painted & I should have them in hand within the next few days or so. I have an idea of what sound system I want but want yall's input & suggestions. So I'm thinking about keeping the stock deck. Upgrading the 5.25 to 6.5 speakers in the fairing. Obviously doing the 6.5's on the lower fairings. I wanna put a total of 4 6x9's in my bags. Trying to run one amp. I have a iPod already connected. So as far as brands of speakers & amp I've got a few different suggestions from friends. For the 6.5's & 6x9's Pioneer, JL Audio & Kickers (my friend that's an installer says Kickers are more for sub's not for what I'm looking for) as for the amp 2 of my friends suggested the Alpine PDX-5 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-5) there's a few different Alpine PDX series amp's & I wanna make sure I get the right one for what I need. Another thing I'm debating on is how to face the 6x9's in my bag's. Either face one towards the front of the Harley & one towards the back tire or both towards the back tire? Once I decide where to install the 6x9's I'm thinking of just having my installer drill small holes for the sounds to get threw instead of cutting one big cut out cuz I don't like that look of the big hole. I'm open to cutting a big hole for the 6x9's facing the back wheel if needed for the sound to come threw better but rather not. All input, help & suggestions is welcomed & appreciated thanks.

Last edited by Gizza408; 05-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:12 AM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about stereo equipment, but you may want to read through GlacierPearl's post about his stereo install...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ce-stereo.html

Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Gizza408
Novice

Originally Posted by KaponeWKYA
Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about stereo equipment, but you may want to read through GlacierPearl's post about his stereo install...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ce-stereo.html
Good looking on that link definitely a good post. Anyone else have some feedback?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gizza, just did mine... I dont have a Road Glide, but I do have a street glide... I got Bagger Audio's speaker lids, and they are incredible!!! They allow you to face a 6x9 aiming up! Check out their site... I will be posting a thread in the next few minutes that shows my final install.... also can I suggest speakers? I had "Shockwave's" installed and they are killer, although you pay... he sells them on ebay check them out... althought they are completly weather proof...

All I can say is ouch and that is what I felt after I paid, but man o man I love this system...

You do know that many stereo installers instal 4 6.5's without the lowers... so you could realisticly have 6 6.5's... I would have to think that with the shockwave speakers you wont need 4 6x9's either, I was gonna go that route and my installer talked me into getting 2 shockwave 6x9's to start and go from there and believe me I didnt need 2 more... check out my post in the next few hours it should be up...

Good luck with you install, also "glacierpearl"'s thread is incredible and filled with TONS of information!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
jsthawk
Stage II

I would only buy polk audio speakers. Ive been using them for 12 years and they are loud and clear. As for the amp, ARC audio is the best amp for the best price. As for installation on 6 x 9's, I would only use someone that has installed a lot of them. contact dragonfly cycle concepts for questions. He pushes high end products that I wouldnt waste money on but kevin is good at installation

Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my post is up Gizza408

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Gizza408
Novice

Originally Posted by rerb95
Gizza, just did mine... I dont have a Road Glide, but I do have a street glide... I got Bagger Audio's speaker lids, and they are incredible!!! They allow you to face a 6x9 aiming up! Check out their site... I will be posting a thread in the next few minutes that shows my final install.... also can I suggest speakers? I had "Shockwave's" installed and they are killer, although you pay... he sells them on ebay check them out... althought they are completly weather proof...

All I can say is ouch and that is what I felt after I paid, but man o man I love this system...

You do know that many stereo installers instal 4 6.5's without the lowers... so you could realisticly have 6 6.5's... I would have to think that with the shockwave speakers you wont need 4 6x9's either, I was gonna go that route and my installer talked me into getting 2 shockwave 6x9's to start and go from there and believe me I didnt need 2 more... check out my post in the next few hours it should be up...

Good luck with you install, also "glacierpearl"'s thread is incredible and filled with TONS of information!
I seen them 6x9 lid speakers but I think I like the full paint look on my lids better but who knows which route I'll end up going ... I was gonna do the 6 6.5's in the front/lower fairing but thought 4 6.5's with the 4 6x9's in the bags would be good enough ... Thanks on the info I checked out your speaker install thread to good post!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you are looking to build a system similar to mine. You are 'spot on' with the Pioneer Premier 6 X 9's. They make more bass than any I've heard.

Also the Alpine PDX series is an incredible digital amp. I run 2 of them,..that way,all 8 speakers have a dedicated channel with 150 dedicated watts.

What head unit are you going to use ??

If you have any questions, let me know !!

Go BIG or go home !!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Gizza408
Novice

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Sounds like you are looking to build a system similar to mine. You are 'spot on' with the Pioneer Premier 6 X 9's. They make more bass than any I've heard.

Also the Alpine PDX series is an incredible digital amp. I run 2 of them,..that way,all 8 speakers have a dedicated channel with 150 dedicated watts.

What head unit are you going to use ??

If you have any questions, let me know !!

Go BIG or go home !!!!
I just got done reading your I believe 17 page thread a few min's ago great thread by the way. Yea it definitely looks like I'm going in the same direction as you as far as my sound system goes. You giving the thumbs up on the Pioneer Premier speakers is making me really think a bit more of going that route alot of Harley out here have them. You think for the 6.5 speakers Pioneer brand should be good as well? That way I keep all the speakers the same name? As for the amp my installer said one amp is fine for the 8 speakers I forgot what he called it but he basically said 2 speakers per channel I think that's what he said atleast what you think? Also what amp Alpine PDX model should I get to run all this? I wanna keep the stock head unit & just run my music with the iPod. Going big is all I know check out my Chevy Caprice link in my signature haha. Thanks on the response & help.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM
Gizza408
Novice

Also how's the 6x9's sound compared to having one facing the front of the bike instead of both of them towards the tire? Have you heard any other bikes with that set-up compared to yours?

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a sound system for my 2010 Road Glide?