Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on a sound system for my 2010 Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Gizza408
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About ready to pull the trigger on this anyone else out there have any more input?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely INSANE o try to use the factory head unit. You would have to send it out for some MAJOR work , to get it to be any better than a boat anchor. The HK is the weakest part of the equation.

Do yourself a favor, and upgrade the head unit. It'll make a world of difference.

As far as keeping the speakers all the same brand. No way. The Pioneer 6.5's pale in comparison to the Boston Acoustics that I put in the fairing.

Go to a nice car audio shop and listen to all the options you have. Your ears will find something that they love. My ears just happened to like the expensive Boston Acoustics, PRO 60SE.

Good luck !!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Gizza408
Novice

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Absolutely INSANE o try to use the factory head unit. You would have to send it out for some MAJOR work , to get it to be any better than a boat anchor. The HK is the weakest part of the equation.

Do yourself a favor, and upgrade the head unit. It'll make a world of difference.

As far as keeping the speakers all the same brand. No way. The Pioneer 6.5's pale in comparison to the Boston Acoustics that I put in the fairing.

Go to a nice car audio shop and listen to all the options you have. Your ears will find something that they love. My ears just happened to like the expensive Boston Acoustics, PRO 60SE.

Good luck !!
Had a few other questions for you in those 2 previous reply's if you have time hit me back with your thoughts thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gizza408
As for the amp my installer said one amp is fine for the 8 speakers I forgot what he called it but he basically said 2 speakers per channel I think that's what he said atleast what you think?
I don't know about this one. I just thought that a dedicated channel for each speaker was best. If not,..........I don't think that guys adding lowers would be looking for a 4 channel amp. I'm sure one of the electrical gurus can chime in with how much it affects the amp, by doubling up the speakers.

Originally Posted by Gizza408
Also what amp Alpine PDX model should I get to run all this?
I'd get the biggest 4 CH they have. I don't know if the PDX4.150 that I run is the biggest or not,.......but I think so.

PS. You can sell your stock head unit for close to $500. That is a good start for a new head unit & install kit !!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
neano62
Tourer

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-fairing.html

Gizza,...

I dont know if you saw this thread or not but this will absolutley ful-fill you want for sum Tunes on your bike!

Man I couldnt b more pleased,...tickled PINK,...and Happy!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gizza: Good luck with whatever system you go with!! Remember, when you are finished and ready to announce the outcome to the rest of the board you gotta post as-you-go pics or the other members will kill 'ya!!!!!!

Keep us posted

1HarleyGuy1

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

DO NOT FACE THE SPEAKERS FORWARD -- REPEAT WHAT i JUST SAID.

Face the speakers towards the tire -- you will need a different head unit to get the full performance out of your system.

I have the alpine PDX 4.150 amp, Infinity Kappa's 6.5 in fairing, 4 Pioneer 6x9s in the bags on my RG -- was down in MB this weekend I never play my music loud; just enough for me to hear -- well I tested it at the beach and had a concert---you don't need a 3 -$500 head unit -- you do need a blue-tooth remote control unit from one of the major manufacturers and an interface for the hand controls from HawgWired plug and play or something similar. You will have an excellent sounding system

I am having an stereo install on my SG now; Pioneer Head Unit, JL Audio amp that fits in the fairing JBL 6.5 in the fairing, Polk Audio 6.5 in lowers 1 pair of Alpine 6x9s in the bags -- I'll report how it sounds tomorrow when I pick it up.

Here is my write up how to do this https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-the-bags.html

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Gizza408
Novice

Originally Posted by neano62
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-fairing.html

Gizza,...

I dont know if you saw this thread or not but this will absolutley ful-fill you want for sum Tunes on your bike!

Man I couldnt b more pleased,...tickled PINK,...and Happy!
Good write up!

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
Gizza: Good luck with whatever system you go with!! Remember, when you are finished and ready to announce the outcome to the rest of the board you gotta post as-you-go pics or the other members will kill 'ya!!!!!!

Keep us posted

1HarleyGuy1

Haha I will try & do the step by step pix & steps but I'm not gonna be installing this gonna have my friends buddy's stereo shop do the work.

Originally Posted by lkr0
DO NOT FACE THE SPEAKERS FORWARD -- REPEAT WHAT i JUST SAID.

Face the speakers towards the tire -- you will need a different head unit to get the full performance out of your system.

I have the alpine PDX 4.150 amp, Infinity Kappa's 6.5 in fairing, 4 Pioneer 6x9s in the bags on my RG -- was down in MB this weekend I never play my music loud; just enough for me to hear -- well I tested it at the beach and had a concert---you don't need a 3 -$500 head unit -- you do need a blue-tooth remote control unit from one of the major manufacturers and an interface for the hand controls from HawgWired plug and play or something similar. You will have an excellent sounding system

I am having an stereo install on my SG now; Pioneer Head Unit, JL Audio amp that fits in the fairing JBL 6.5 in the fairing, Polk Audio 6.5 in lowers 1 pair of Alpine 6x9s in the bags -- I'll report how it sounds tomorrow when I pick it up.

Here is my write up how to do this https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-the-bags.html
Good to hear the news on the speakers facing forward I never wanted to do it cuz of the look but didn't wanna miss out on to much sound cuz of that either ... I wanna keep the stock head unit but will def. think about changing it after getting the feedback from this forum ... I keep hearing about the Alpine PDX-4.150 amp but I don't see it on there site I'm thinking this is a older model from Alpine but here's there site showing all there amp's http://alpine-usa.com/product/category/amplifiers ... Also why do so many put 2 different brand 6.5's in there fairing & lower fairings?

Last edited by Gizza408; 05-31-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Boston acoustics pro SE 60's rip!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Garcou
Boston acoustics pro SE 60's rip!
Yes Sir !!!

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a sound system for my 2010 Road Glide?