Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlamp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 PM
ttudesperado
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlamp install

i installed my new harley LED headlamp and when i plugged it in to start everything up and kurkyan driving lights would turn on, pull the new head light off and started the bike and the kurkyan driving lights worked again

there are 2 wires running off the main headlamp power connector do those need to be connected to something?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those 2 wires are an additional fused powered line not used on North Amercan models. I believe the Euro bikes have a different headlight with sort of a running/parking lamp feature in the headlight housing.

You can use that connection to do the mod where the passing lamps will stay lit when you switch on your headlight high-beam. I did. It works out well...quick an easy.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer

My GPS is connected to the two lines (Orange/white hot and black is ground).

Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 AM
ttudesperado
Intermediate

So what do I need to do to make the highway lights stay on with the main head lamp? Right now there turned off and on with a switch the harley dealership installed

Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 AM
gwvulcan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Daddio

You can use that connection to do the mod where the passing lamps will stay lit when you switch on your headlight high-beam. I did. It works out well...quick an easy.
how did you use those to wires to alter the passing lamps. I have heard a few different ways of doing this, but all involved splicing a wire. I would sure like to know how these wires can be used, do you have a diagram

Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
ttudesperado
Intermediate

+1 on the wiring diagram, what needs to be done

Old 05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Daddio
Tourer

I have an Electra Glide, which already has passing lamps installed. I cant say for certain if the wiring in that main cable is the same on a Road King or a Street Glide....seems as if the main cable going to the headlight would be the same on all models.
Anyway, you have to go upwards from the end of the headlight cable/plug, in between where the other 2 wires we were talking about (Orange&black) stick out, and the main headlight plug...a few inches up from the headlight plug...peel away that cable-wrap stuff to get at it.
You need to look for/follow the yellow wire up from the headlight plug. You'll see a factory splice of a second yellow wire joining into that same yellow wire going to the headlight plug. Cut the second yellow wire away from the factory splice. Tape up/insulate the headlight wire where you cut off the 2nd spliced wire to make sure it isnt left bare.
Take the wire you cut off (which cuts out the passing lamp power when you hit the Highbeams) and hook it into the Orange&black wire coming of the main cable...that would be the one we we discussing to start with. It is powered and fused... plenty of juice to run your passing lamps...and they will now be powered independent of the headlight power lead...mine have been hooked up this way for quite a while with no problems. On or off with the passing lamps no matter what your headlight is set on.

I hope this explanation makes sense and i did'nt get tonqued tied with my thoughts or words.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 PM
elk0942
Advanced

Had this saved from awhile ago, till I get off my *** and do it on my bike. Hope this helps.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-beams-on.html

Ed

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 AM
gwvulcan
Cruiser

Appreciate it. Ria going to give it a try as soon as warranty expires. Figure not worth something going wrong and the stealer blaming it on that. Besides it will give me something to do this winter

Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddio
Those 2 wires are an additional fused powered line not used on North Amercan models. I believe the Euro bikes have a different headlight with sort of a running/parking lamp feature in the headlight housing.

You're right!

Quick Reply: LED headlamp install