Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Mr. Mobey
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam replacement

I am thinking of replacing my stock cams with gear drive.
My bike is stock with the carb jetted, K@N, Vance and Hines true duels and Hooker Tunable Slip-on exhaust.
Is this something I should attempt myself? I have a air lift and alot of tools and service manual for my bike. I am confident and have done alot of other service work like bars, wheels, brakes, carb jetting, but never anything like cam work.
Just want to know if I am setting myself up for disaster!!!!!!!
Any imput appreciated. [sm=patriot.gif]

Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Cam replacement

The conversion is a detailed task. There is nothing that will jump out and bite you.

The factory service manual will help you get things apart and back together. S&S, Andrews and Crane cams all come with detailed instructions for installing the gear set. There are tools available to rent that will help you get the job done right. If you decide this is a project you want to tackle, there are folks here that can help you every step of the way.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Mr. Mobey
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grover,
Thanks for the input.
I just got off the phone with my mechanic friend that recomends the S&S 510G kit and also S&S adjustable push rods.
Heard anything bad about them?
I had thought about Andrews before he mentioned the S&S.
Thanks,

Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you have the svc manual (which you do), tools, and are fairly machanically inclined, it's pretty simply and straight forward.

510's are nice cams for generally stock motors. Do NOT exceed 9.7:1 CR, or your engine WILL ping. Stock is much lower so, you'll be fine. The 510's actually "like" just a bit more than stock compression (again, up to 9.7:1).

Andews 26G's are comperable, but they come on just a little earlier and do not like anything more than about 9.25:1 (some will tell ya 9.4:1, but you're flirting with pinging at that point).

A third option might be Kuryakyn 1G or possibly 2G cams. There have been some really impressive dyno charts posted using these on stock motors. One benefit to these is that they seem to like as much compression as you can throw at them and "supposedly" do not have starting and/or pinging problems.

In all cases, an engine needs to be "properly setup" (compression ratio, squish, etc.), and some cams are forgiving than others, so.... it probably depends most on your personal goals for the build - both now and down the road....

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can do it. Keep your computer turned on and you will get lots of help here.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat here - having worked at a dealership now for about 7 weeks and having seen a tear down, it really looks quite doable for the average backyard mechanic. I'd also like to do a gear drive setup, so, let's keep in touch and see what cam most of the members like. Remember, no other mods except the cam (and adj pushrods) at this stage will make a difference in what we select.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted
Remember, no other mods except the cam (and adj pushrods) at this stage will make a difference in what we select.
With that in mind.... check out this dyno sheet from a Kuryakyn 1G: http://www.kuryakyn.com/wtproducts.a...gn=Dyno+Charts

Old 10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a very easy job, if you can read and have a decent set of tools. You will need to get the specialtity tools for the job. I rented them.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Grover

Where did you rent the tools?

Can you provide a link or a phone number for those who want to rent instead of buy?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Grover

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mobey

Grover,
Thanks for the input.
I just got off the phone with my mechanic friend that recomends the S&S 510G kit and also S&S adjustable push rods.
Heard anything bad about them?
I had thought about Andrews before he mentioned the S&S.
Thanks,
Andrews catalog is available on line or through the mail and has extensive info on parts needed to do the swap. I like the looks of the Andrews 26G cam for a bagger because of the lower torque curve. The engine will pull better at lower RPM. It will also work if I later decide to go with heads and a big bore kit.

Quick Reply: Cam replacement