Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 AM
scuzzi
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
There was just a 12 page thread on that:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ght=leave+gear

I do leave in gear, all the time, then put in N when starting. It helps to rock bike forward to find neutral. Rarely I have a hard time finding N and will just hold clutch in.
Yep, was a good read.

I started here but posted some pics there too.

Rolled along all by itself today with the jiffy stand down, dragged itself back for 5 feet before flipping over when it hit the curb.

I will be parking in gear from now on.

Attached Thumbnails Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-drag-mark-s.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I had to park downhill the other day. The kickstand held well, despite my cynicism. Anyone know how much of a grade you can be downhill and still use the jiffy stand?
I've deliberately parked my bike on a steep hill and it simply dragged the stand with it as it rolled. Putting the bike in gear stopped that.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone help me out here, I can't see attachements when I click on them in any of these HD forums. When I do click on them, I get a message that I do not have permission to view ..... what's up?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by porschemann
anyone help me out here, I can't see attachements when I click on them in any of these HD forums. When I do click on them, I get a message that I do not have permission to view ..... what's up?
You didn't read the rules when signing up, which tell you that you need to post a few times (ten or there abouts), before getting those levels of access! It's all to do with defending the website against attack from dark forces. You'll be fine after a few more posts.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! Read them... but I must read like I listen...in one ear and out the other! LOL... I was surprised when I could not see my own attachment in a posting so figured there must be something wrong. That's ok, I can be patient for it to come into effect!

I see you have toured Ontario. Did you do the loop around Lake Superior yet? Sorry... I think I just hi-jacked this thread...

So on topic, yes I too recommend parking in gear when on a slope. I always put it in first, let it roll against engine compression then put the stand down. The bike never moves then... have come to this world from BMW's that don't have a locking kick stand like the harley jiffy stand and if you didn't do this, the bike would roll and drop.