Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,000 Likes on 9,046 Posts

I always use the parking brake too.
but yeah, the bike should roll a little bit if the tab is installed and the jiffystand adapter bracket isn't bent outa shape.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

wow this was just happing to my new bike......I know how the stand works with the tab locking in so when my new 2012SG would "lean"forward after I set it on the stand I started having people try and grab bike as they thought it was falling over, I tryed to not look as it really looked like it was tipping over BUT I KNEW HOW THE DESIGN IS SO THE TAB IS IN THE SLOT IT IS LOCKED IN.......finally I took real good look as I just got a sick feeling every time I set it on its stand.....so did all my friends.....well apon looking close the tab would go into the lock and then roll forward to the stop postion then the bike would still go forward after the tab was on the side of lock postion.....I noticed that the bolt going thru the entire kickstand was turning after the tab was pushed to the stop postion....went to dealer they said "no way" it locks in the tab....well fuwk I said I guess I must have my head up my *** but it would be nice if you took a peak at it before you write it off.......so out side we went he got down and looked at the stand I showed him how it "slide foward ater the tab was maxed" he got up picked bike up and rolled it in shop and held it up till someone put a jack under it........seems there was an issue...when i asked after they worked on it he said no big deal was not even going to write it up.....my guess is it was loose...so yes there could be an issue with yours.....

Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
R Hill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the bike but I know the stand must slide out a little to lock but I am scratching up my driveway at the house and at work I can see where I have parked before.

I always leave in gear then put in nuteral to start.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

aside from setting the parking brake. LOL.
some of us park, shut off the engine, leave in gear, let the clutch out, let it roll until compression stops roll and then put the kick stand down. It ain't moving after that. Or is it just me?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 PM
gdbice
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
aside from setting the parking brake. LOL.
some of us park, shut off the engine, leave in gear, let the clutch out, let it roll until compression stops roll and then put the kick stand down. It ain't moving after that. Or is it just me?

+1 1Canuck, I park mine the same way, even on a level surface like in my garage

Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Uh....put it in gear....

Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,301 Likes on 2,508 Posts

Originally Posted by PlotMH
You can replace the spring w/o removing the stand. I just did mine with the jiffy stand extended (on my lift). It took $0.51 (six nickles and 21 pennys) inserted in the spring to extend it enough to slip in place then I got my money back !! Having a vice is mandatory to bend the spring enough to insert the coins between the winds.
Originally Posted by 69cj
Not true, I change my 07 RK without removing the stand. Takes a little muscle but then I'm a young 65 year old.
i'm an old 52, so i do it the easy way. park the bike in a chock (or have someone hold it up for you) take the bolt and locking tab out, rotate the kickstand forward, put the spring in (no muscling or pennies required), rotate the kickstand back, and then put the bolt back and locking tab back on.

oh, and just for reference, this is how they say to do it in the manual

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I think something on mine got bent. I've been out on a long 3 week ride out west, with brutal heat, and crappy pavement materials. I came out of a restaurant after lunch, and the stand had sunk about 2 inches in the "pavement", and partially closed back over. I think the added angle was enough to bend something. The bike has been trying to roll everytime I park since then.

Any ideas? I'm still out on the road, and haven't had a chance to look at the stand.
i think you're just noticing things that you haven't noticed before. that kickstand can hold quite a bit of weight, and the little extra weight on it from sinking 2 inches in the pavement is not gonna bend anything. if it is bent, it would not fold up properly. and seriously, if you think you have a problem, you cant take an extra minute from coming out of the store, getting gas, etc, to bend down and look at it?

Last edited by skratch; 07-27-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Keeper01
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SG does this too. It freaked me out at first because my Dyna didn't do it. I would always get that panicked feeling in my gut and grab the bike thinking it was falling over. I'm getting used to it, but occasionally get that "oh crap" moments.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,000 Likes on 9,046 Posts

Bolt? Hmmmm, I have a nut holding things together on the top of mine. The nut threads onto a threaded extension of the jiffystand. I don't think its a bolt.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Imagepix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok so I took the advice of get down there are look at it and here are my thoughts and pics... It is simple but effect mount for the Jiffy Stand. For me I found quite a bit of play in the stop where it fits in to the bracket and where the bolt secures it to the leg . My bolt was just snug enough to allow the leg to move within the leg stop so a bit more torque helped. My conclusion it just moves and tightening the bolt helped. I also found that my springs needs to be replace. The bike is not going anywhere and rolls a bit less.

David

Again thanks for all your comments sincere and sarcastic.

Attached Thumbnails Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-2012-07-27_11-40-44_178_1.jpg   Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-2012-07-27_11-41-03_414_1.jpg   Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-2012-07-27_11-44-16_553_1.jpg   Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-2012-07-27_11-44-42_570_1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....