Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously? Leave it in first gear, problem solved.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Imagepix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok so my question is how much travel. With my Jiffy Stand down my 2010 Ultra will roll 2 1/2 inches. On my 2007 Dyna it rolls maybe a 1/4 of an inch. I have now starting to leave the bike in gear, good suggestion. On a center stand I can engage the Jiffy Stand and move it back and forth with little effort. Thanks for your comments.
David

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Seriously? Leave it in first gear, problem solved.
That's what I was thinking. I don't depend on that tab holding 950 lbs every time, my bike is always in gear when I dismount, period. That way, it only moves a small bit and it ain't going anywhere. Nothing hard about figuring that out.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingkingking
To fit the spring you need to pull the kickstand off. If the mechy didnt put the tabbed washer back on (pretty hard to leave it off) or if it was put on wrong then the bike could roll a bit more than normal.

How the kickstand works is there is a tabbed washer on the top of the kickstand which locks into the u shaped mount for the kickstand. You can see the tab in this pic attached. The spring holds the kickstand in the down position and the tab is not engaged. When the weight of the bike goes onto the kickstand the tab locks in and the kickstand cant fold up.
You can replace the spring w/o removing the stand. I just did mine with the jiffy stand extended (on my lift). It took $0.51 (six nickles and 21 pennys) inserted in the spring to extend it enough to slip in place then I got my money back !! Having a vice is mandatory to bend the spring enough to insert the coins between the winds.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
To fit the spring you need to pull the kickstand off. If the mechy didnt put the tabbed washer back on (pretty hard to leave it off) or if it was put on wrong then the bike could roll a bit more than normal.

How the kickstand works is there is a tabbed washer on the top of the kickstand which locks into the u shaped mount for the kickstand. You can see the tab in this pic attached. The spring holds the kickstand in the down position and the tab is not engaged. When the weight of the bike goes onto the kickstand the tab locks in and the kickstand cant fold up.
Not true, I change my 07 RK without removing the stand. Takes a little muscle but then I'm a young 65 year old.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I use my emergency brake...

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,948 Likes on 4,144 Posts

What really keeps the bike from rolling is when the stand is dropped down and you roll the bike over on it, the top plate with the square key rides up into the slot and lock the stand from going in either direction. The weight if the bike on the stand is actually all that is keeping bike from rolling. You should always have bike in low gear also to assist it in not rolling.Especially if you live were they are hills since it could slide the stand. The only thing the spring does is pull it down out of the slot so it has nothing to do with stand locking up. If you are saying when bike is leaned over and stand is actually letting bike roll and collapse stand they screwed something up. The key is the shinny top part on my stand. (I custom made my to fit tight from a chunk of cres on my mill)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think something on mine got bent. I've been out on a long 3 week ride out west, with brutal heat, and crappy pavement materials. I came out of a restaurant after lunch, and the stand had sunk about 2 inches in the "pavement", and partially closed back over. I think the added angle was enough to bend something. The bike has been trying to roll everytime I park since then.

Any ideas? I'm still out on the road, and haven't had a chance to look at the stand.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think something on mine got bent. I've been out on a long 3 week ride out west, with brutal heat, and crappy pavement materials. I came out of a restaurant after lunch, and the stand had sunk about 2 inches in the "pavement", and partially closed back over. I think the added angle was enough to bend something. The bike has been trying to roll everytime I park since then.

Any ideas? I'm still out on the road, and haven't had a chance to look at the stand.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I've taken jiffy stands off and put them back together. I know how they work and how they lock in yet after 30+ years of riding Harleys I always park in gear and I always roll the slack out of the gear if I'm on a hill before I put the jiffy stand down. My bikes never move. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Quick Reply: Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....