Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting cold idle..do I have to remove...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adjusting cold idle..do I have to remove...

Do I have to remove the A/C backplate for proper setting of the cold idle or is it simply recommended in order to easier access the cold idle adjusting screw. I can get to the screw without removing the backplate and would like to be able to adjust it without the hassle of having to remove it.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:56 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

No need to remove the back plate.

Drew

Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy

Bro~n~law has a 2000 with MM EFI. He has what looks like Screamin Eagle air intake, and a stock cover over it. He put a slight bend in the middle of his T-10 driver, and now doesn't even have to take the cover off to adjust the cold idle screw. He can just reach in with the cover/filter on, bike running or off. For this adjustment to have any effect whatsoever, the bike's Engine Temp Sensor (ETS) must be in fine working condition, or the ECU will never call for cold idle to begin with.

(Of course, gettin to and adjusting the warm idle screw is a whole 'nother matter)

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 05-26-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
No need to remove the back plate.

Drew
Originally Posted by JR-Boston
Bro~n~law has a 2000 with MM EFI. He has what looks like Screamin Eagle air intake, and a stock cover over it. He put a slight bend in the middle of his T-10 driver, and now doesn't even have to take the cover off to adjust the cold idle screw. He can just reach in with the cover/filter on, bike running or off. For this adjustment to have any effect whatsoever, the bike's Engine Temp Sensor (ETS) must be in fine working condition, or the ECU will never call for cold idle to begin with.

(Of course, gettin to and adjusting the warm idle screw is a whole 'nother matter)

JR
Good to know guys...thanks. The bend in the torx driver is how I am able to reach the adjusting screw also.