Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best light weight helmet price aside

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Pete838
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the flat black HD helmet with the small metal Willie G. Skull on each side about 2 months ago. It's not exactly low profile, but it is a lot lower profile than all of the other [DOT] ones I tried on that day at J&P in Daytona. I think I tried on close to 50 helmets in J&P (Bell, Outlaw, etc.), and hated the feel of them.
As soon as I tried the Willie G. helmet I knew it was the one. It feels great, and from me that is saying a lot. I usually abhor waring a lid, but the OL has been pushing the issue. This lid I don't mind so much.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem with helmets is I really like to ride my Road King without the shield when possible. Granted bugs can be annoying but still love the air in my face. My problem with any DOT helmet is that when worn without my windshield that it grabs too much air and causes a pain in my neck, which then works its way down my back. Best of luck with your helmet and ride safe.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife and I have the Harley "Hybrid" 1/2 helmets.

The are super light (22 oz.) and very comfortable to us.

They are kind of pricey, mine was about $200 and hers was about $229.

I would buy them again.

Last edited by 2004Sierra; 05-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced

Check out the post titled "yay or nay to new helmet". Pretty cool looking helmet.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced

You may want to check out my post last week regarding a few helmets that are discussed quite often. You can view it under "3/4 Helmet Comparison Biltwell, Bell 500, Lick's, Fulmer"

Hope it helps. I did purchase a Bell 500 and find it really nice.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink Arai

http://www.araiamericas.com/default....moto/xc-series

ARAI XC Series 3/4 /// I prefer a full face - Corsair

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
The wife and I have the Harley "Hybrid" 1/2 helmets. The are super light and very comfortable to us.

They are kind of pricey, mine was about $200 and hers was about $229.

I would buy them again.

"....kind of pricey, mine was about $200 and hers was about $229...."

http://www.helmetshop.com/

It just kills me to hear people talk about the price of a helmet, what your head is not worth more than $ 350.00 ?

Helmets, IMO you get what you pay for... Aria , Shoie

Try a cheap helmet after 3 hours of loud wind noise, not able to buy the correct check pads, head liner etc... man I just can never see my head in a helmet under $600....... http://www.helmetshop.com/product/ST...A-POLAR-BLACK/

Bell was a good helmet when they were made in the USA, I raced in them up to 1980.... now Bell helmets are made in China- Junk

Always takes me back to this idiot:

Busey's manager and bike-riding partner, Herb Nanas, told a reporter that he believed "Gary would still take a position advocating freedom of choice" about helmets. In the end, however, Busey's injuries seemed a chilling price to pay just so he could feel the wind in his hair.

Gary Busey couldn't wait to get rolling. The mechanics had finished installing a windscreen on his customized $15,000 Harley-Davidson, and Busey wanted the big motorcycle right away. So even though Bartels' cycle showroom is closed on Sundays, salesman Gene Thomason opened the Culver City, Calif., shop to let Busey pick up his bike. The actor hit the starter, waved, then wheeled the custom-painted black-and-cream cycle into the traffic on Washington Boulevard.

As usual, Busey rode bareheaded. Hollywood's tough guys have had a long love affair with motorcycles, and the romance has recently heated up to the boiling point. The machine bringing the finest rapture today is the big, beautiful, all-American Harley, some models of which are as powerful as a car and can hit 150 mph. Top-of-the-line status symbol bikes can cost $28,000, and for many in the growing swaggering fraternity of bikers that include Busey, Sly Stallone, comic Jay Leno and rocker Billy Idol, helmets are for wimps. Barely 100 feet out of Bartels' door, Busey came face-to-face with the consequences of that macho style. As he tried to make a turn around a bus, his 625-pound Harley went into a skid. Instead of laying the bike down in the direction of the slide, as he should, "Gary high-sided," says Thomason. "The momentum threw him off. He landed on the curb on his back and his head hit."

Busey, a 1978 Oscar nominee for The Buddy Holly Story, was suddenly a statistic, one of an estimated 25,000 Californians to suffer serious injuries in biking accidents this year. Even as he struggled toward recovery, Busey also became the focus of a new battle over whether motorcyclists should have to wear helmets. California law requires headgear only for riders younger than 15˝, and last year Gary Busey joined other celeb bikers to help defeat legislation demanding helmets for all riders. The day after Busey's accident, Assemblyman Richard Floyd angrily reintroduced his helmet bill.

After the crash, Thomason ran across the street and cradled the star's bleeding head in his arms. "He kept saying he wanted to get up," reported the salesman. "He's a tough guy." He was almost not tough enough. A CAT scan at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. indicated blood clots between Busey's skull and brain, and that night he underwent 90 minutes of neurosurgery to remove the clots. Luckily, there was no sign of brain damage, and by the middle of the week he was having limited conversations with his wife, Judy, and son, Jake, 17.

Busey is only the latest star to suffer injuries while whizzing along unprotected atop several hundred pounds of hot, tricky metal. "Actors go out and buy these bikes because it's become a status symbol," says Marjoe Gortner, who owns four Harleys and wears no helmet. "All this macho stuff comes into play. You feel invincible on a bike—you're Marlon Brando. Because they ride carelessly, I've stopped riding with celebs." Salesman Thomason takes such play-riding philosophically. "We get a lot of celebrities," he shrugs. "They all ride; they all crash." And few wear headgear. Biking, says 21 Jump Street's Peter DeLuise, is "like sliding through the air. When you put a helmet on, it takes away part of the feeling." DeLuise's series, which has a big teenage following, often gets permission to show young riders roaring around helmetless to convey the feeling.

Assemblyman Floyd doesn't care much for how bikers feel. By his estimate, the maimings and deaths from motorcycle accidents cost Calfornia $100 million each year, and helmets would cut both the carnage and the expense. The antihelmet forces argue that wearing headgear is a personal decision the government has no business legislating. They also claim that wearing a helmet cuts peripheral vision and muffles the senses, making accidents likelier. That may be so, but in a 1980 survey of Oklahoma crashes, the fatality rate for riders who weren't wearing helmets was almost six times that of those who were.

Busey's crack-up came just as the 44-year-old star seemed to be entering an upswing in his roller-coaster career. In the last decade, critics have often had occasion to praise him as an interesting actor who made even bad films watchable. In recent years, Busey seemed to have conquered longtime cocaine, booze and weight problems, and he got fine notices for his role in last year's Lethal Weapon. More good reviews came for A Dangerous Life, last month's HBO miniseries on the fall of the Marcoses. As news of the accident spread, Busey's friends rushed to his side. The Sunday night performance of David Rabe's play Hurlyburly was canceled so that cast members, including Sean Penn, Mare Winningham, Belinda Bauer and Jill Schoelen, could hold a vigil at his hospital.

Busey's manager and bike-riding partner, Herb Nanas, told a reporter that he believed "Gary would still take a position advocating freedom of choice" about helmets. In the end, however, Busey's injuries seemed a chilling price to pay just so he could feel the wind in his hair.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
beansSG
Tourer

Littlebear, does the lenses on that helmet distort ur vision? I tried a afx helmet same type with the flip down and that lense gave me a headache. Fyi hjc makes that helmet w/o the hd logo for 85 bucks, they make that harley helmet.

Originally Posted by littlebear
Just pulled the trigger on the Harley 1/2 helmet with the pull down sheild, $125.00 and I really like it.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
"....kind of pricey, mine was about $200 and hers was about $229...."

http://www.helmetshop.com/

It just kills me to hear people talk about the price of a helmet, what your head is not worth more than $ 350.00 ?

Helmets, IMO you get what you pay for... Aria , Shoie

Try a cheap helmet after 3 hours of loud wind noise, not able to buy the correct check pads, head liner etc... man I just can never see my head in a helmet under $600....... http://www.helmetshop.com/product/ST...A-POLAR-BLACK/

Bell was a good helmet when they were made in the USA, I raced in them up to 1980.... now Bell helmets are made in China- Junk

Always takes me back to this idiot:

Gary Busey couldn't wait to get rolling. The mechanics had finished installing a windscreen on his customized $15,000 Harley-Davidson, and Busey wanted the big motorcycle right away. So even though Bartels' cycle showroom is closed on Sundays, salesman Gene Thomason opened the Culver City, Calif., shop to let Busey pick up his bike. The actor hit the starter, waved, then wheeled the custom-painted black-and-cream cycle into the traffic on Washington Boulevard.

As usual, Busey rode bareheaded. Hollywood's tough guys have had a long love affair with motorcycles, and the romance has recently heated up to the boiling point. The machine bringing the finest rapture today is the big, beautiful, all-American Harley, some models of which are as powerful as a car and can hit 150 mph. Top-of-the-line status symbol bikes can cost $28,000, and for many in the growing swaggering fraternity of bikers that include Busey, Sly Stallone, comic Jay Leno and rocker Billy Idol, helmets are for wimps. Barely 100 feet out of Bartels' door, Busey came face-to-face with the consequences of that macho style. As he tried to make a turn around a bus, his 625-pound Harley went into a skid. Instead of laying the bike down in the direction of the slide, as he should, "Gary high-sided," says Thomason. "The momentum threw him off. He landed on the curb on his back and his head hit."

Busey, a 1978 Oscar nominee for The Buddy Holly Story, was suddenly a statistic, one of an estimated 25,000 Californians to suffer serious injuries in biking accidents this year. Even as he struggled toward recovery, Busey also became the focus of a new battle over whether motorcyclists should have to wear helmets. California law requires headgear only for riders younger than 15˝, and last year Gary Busey joined other celeb bikers to help defeat legislation demanding helmets for all riders. The day after Busey's accident, Assemblyman Richard Floyd angrily reintroduced his helmet bill.

After the crash, Thomason ran across the street and cradled the star's bleeding head in his arms. "He kept saying he wanted to get up," reported the salesman. "He's a tough guy." He was almost not tough enough. A CAT scan at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. indicated blood clots between Busey's skull and brain, and that night he underwent 90 minutes of neurosurgery to remove the clots. Luckily, there was no sign of brain damage, and by the middle of the week he was having limited conversations with his wife, Judy, and son, Jake, 17.

Busey is only the latest star to suffer injuries while whizzing along unprotected atop several hundred pounds of hot, tricky metal. "Actors go out and buy these bikes because it's become a status symbol," says Marjoe Gortner, who owns four Harleys and wears no helmet. "All this macho stuff comes into play. You feel invincible on a bike—you're Marlon Brando. Because they ride carelessly, I've stopped riding with celebs." Salesman Thomason takes such play-riding philosophically. "We get a lot of celebrities," he shrugs. "They all ride; they all crash." And few wear headgear. Biking, says 21 Jump Street's Peter DeLuise, is "like sliding through the air. When you put a helmet on, it takes away part of the feeling." DeLuise's series, which has a big teenage following, often gets permission to show young riders roaring around helmetless to convey the feeling.

Assemblyman Floyd doesn't care much for how bikers feel. By his estimate, the maimings and deaths from motorcycle accidents cost Calfornia $100 million each year, and helmets would cut both the carnage and the expense. The antihelmet forces argue that wearing headgear is a personal decision the government has no business legislating. They also claim that wearing a helmet cuts peripheral vision and muffles the senses, making accidents likelier. That may be so, but in a 1980 survey of Oklahoma crashes, the fatality rate for riders who weren't wearing helmets was almost six times that of those who were.

Busey's crack-up came just as the 44-year-old star seemed to be entering an upswing in his roller-coaster career. In the last decade, critics have often had occasion to praise him as an interesting actor who made even bad films watchable. In recent years, Busey seemed to have conquered longtime cocaine, booze and weight problems, and he got fine notices for his role in last year's Lethal Weapon. More good reviews came for A Dangerous Life, last month's HBO miniseries on the fall of the Marcoses. As news of the accident spread, Busey's friends rushed to his side. The Sunday night performance of David Rabe's play Hurlyburly was canceled so that cast members, including Sean Penn, Mare Winningham, Belinda Bauer and Jill Schoelen, could hold a vigil at his hospital.

Did Old Yeller die in the end? I fell asleep reading this. You got and Cliff Notes?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a great place to buy helmets once you know what you want.

http://www.extremesupply.com/

Quick Reply: Best light weight helmet price aside