Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag guards

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 112 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Saddlebag guards

Good evening, everybody! I have looked for this via a search but didn't find anything...might have searched on inaccurate keywords. Nonetheless, I need some advice. I'd like to trade an '08 Softail Deluxe on a 2-tone Root Beer Road King Classic. Rode a rented touring frame motorcycle last weekend and loved it. But I am of the " old school" when it comes to Harleys, meaning I'm a Road King Classic kind of guy as opposed to an Ultra kind of guy if you get my drift. And therein lies the issue...

The wife can't sit comfortably behind me on the Classic as the back of her legs rest hard and true on the saddlebag guards. She can't comfortably ride with me. I am installing a Sundowner saddle which will sit her a little higher but her legs still rest on the guards. Anyone have this situation? If so, what did you do to resolve it? Can the guards be removed (3 different answers to this question from 3 different HD shops...)? Any experience with the " passenger comfort" saddlebag guards?

I really want the Road King Classic but it just won't work without a solution to this problem. If it's an obvious I apologize up front for being stupid...and thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Hayden: No need to apologize...this is a common problem and a great question. Your wife's legs resting on the top of the saddlebag guard has been commented on before and isn't unusual. My wife couldn't ride on my bike for very long until we made some changes. Just like yours, her leg lay across the top of the guard and would cut off her circulation. In short time her leg would go to sleep and/or cause a lot of pain. Buying a new seat will help but what will really fix the problem is to install a new set of lower angled saddlebag guards. HD sells a set (I believe they call them 'Profile' saddlebag guards) and I installed them on my bike. Take a close look at these pictures of my bike and see how the profile guard is angled down from the top frame.

I know the new saddlebag guards + the seat with correct the problem. Ever since we made these changes my wife has never complained again. Send me a PM if you have any other questions and good luck. Let us know how this works for you two.

Finally, congratulations on buying the Road King Classic! Mine is a 2002 model and I've enjoyed every mile on it.

Last edited by Whiskers; 05-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

You might also try to adjust the pass floorboards to the highest position and or add the additions to them that I be;ieve Kury makes.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I too have the comfort profile guards and kury adjustable pegs for the wife on the ultra. She is much happier.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Same here. Low Profile guards.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I too have the comfort profile guards and kury adjustable pegs for the wife on the ultra. She is much happier.
She looks happy. Love that pic of you two.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member

Thanks, everyone. Pulled the trigger on the Road King Classic and will ride it home Sunday. Ordered the low profile saddlebag guards and hope that is the solution. I'll post a pic next week. On vacation these past two weeks on a road tip to California, Oregon, and Washington state (visiting kids and two new Grandsons...long way from home for this Georgia boy...) and won't fly home 'til Saturday. Anxious to get home and pick up my new ride! Thanks again for the input...love this forum and the good folks that visit here!

Last edited by HaydenHeywoodHayes; 05-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Default Got the Road King!

I apologize for not having pictures...I was going to take some last evening but got hung up on a little community picnic...gotta maintain my "neighborly" status in the neighborhood. Anyway, I love the bike, the low profile saddlebag guards worked perfectly (my wife likes the ride too!), and I have no regrets trading the Softail.

Couple questions, though...

First, do I have to remove the saddlebags to switch seats? Keep in mind that I am NOT mechanically inclined as evidenced by the fact that I need a set of instructions to drive a nail successfully and without injury.

Second, I did the Stage 1 gig on the Softail with the SERT, high-flow A/C and V&H True Duals. I don't think I am going to go that route at this time. I want to wait until I get some mileage on the bike until I start enhancing the performance aspects the motor. But, contrary to what others say, the exhaust tone/sound is very benign. Can I install a set of SE Thunder Street slipon mufflers without having to do the remap or A/C and will I hurt the motor if I don't do them both? Do any of you have any experience with them as opposed to the SE Street Performance slipons? I am going to do some chroming to the hand controls and add the Heritage Style bars (internally wired), but don't really want to do anything to the motor until I've put some miles on it. And that 103 really, really cranks in stock form!!

Thanks again, my friends, for the help. Stay tuned and I promise to get some pictures up soon.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenHeywoodHayes

First, do I have to remove the saddlebags to switch seats? NO

Can I install a set of SE Thunder Street slipon mufflers without having to do the remap or A/C and will I hurt the motor if I don't do them both? Yes you can do that without hurting anything Do any of you have any experience with them as opposed to the SE Street Performance slipons? Not I

Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member

Thanks, Dawg!