Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio cutout, right side only

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 AM
txrdkng
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audio cutout, right side only

I recently installed the Biketronics amp and speaker package and it sounded GREAT!. I then found a thread on here about updating the radio software and now I am having sound cutout problems on the right side.

I followed the HD steps, downloaded the software, burned to a CD and TRIED the update but it would not work properly (a common problem with home-burned CD's I'm told). While the update was in process I noticed the right front speaker was not working. I tried several different remedies to get the upgrade installed such as re-burning the CD but nothing would work. I finally aborted the attempt, shut the bike off for 60 seconds, turned it back on and everything started working fine again.

Took it to the dealership and used their CD to upgrade the software. It worked fine but when I turned the radio back on the right side was out again. A couple of technicians came over, scratched their heads, moved the fade all the way to the back (both back speakers were working), moved the fade back to the front, cranked up the volume and everything started working again.

Rode for a couple of hours, got back into my neighborhood and slowed down the right speaker cut out. When I crank the volume up the speaker usually comes back on. When the volume drops it shuts out. And, of course, the problem appears intermittent so will be hard to diagnose.

So before I start ripping of the outer fairing again any thoughts? It happened during both software upgrade attempts so that would seem like the cause but I can't find anything out there about this being a known problem. There could be a loose connection in there somewhere but why would turning the volume up usually fix the problem? I am also intermittently getting a popping noise from the speaker when it is not working.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM
txrdkng
Cruiser

Anyone?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Try these guys...they should be able to point you in the right direction.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I had a problem with right speaker and it turn out to be the low-high-full switch on the amp would vibrate and was a little flaky.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
txrdkng
Cruiser

Well, tore into the fairing, nothing loose, everything in place. Called Biketronics and they had me switch speaker wires side to side. Sure enough the problem moved to the left speaker. Called Biketronics back with the results, they said they would ship a replacement amp today. Stay "tuned"...

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by txrdkng
Well, tore into the fairing, nothing loose, everything in place. Called Biketronics and they had me switch speaker wires side to side. Sure enough the problem moved to the left speaker. Called Biketronics back with the results, they said they would ship a replacement amp today. Stay "tuned"...
Mine did that once and it was the transformer (I think that's what it's called).
The little unit that has the RCA jacks on one side and hooks up to the speaker wires on the other side. Only one side worked. The amp was fine.

FYI: I had their biggest amp, your setup may be different.

FYI: I had two warentty issuses done through Biketronics, both took at least three phone calls.
They always said they would ship it right out. A week later nothing, another phone call said they would ship it right out, another week nothing.

Once I can understand, but it happened on both of them which has kinda turned me off Biketronic now.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
txrdkng
Cruiser

Well, Biketronics was true to their word and sent over the new amp and transformer. All installed, seems to be working fine. Time will tell but I am glad Biketronics stepped up to the plate and handled this issue as quickly as they did.

However, once I installed everything and went to test it I found my battery nearly dead...not even enough juice to power on the radio. Put a charger on it and it charged up okay (never did peg the charger's meter to "Full"), fired up the radio, sounds fine but dropped the charger meter to halfway between Full and Low. Shut it all down, charges back up, repeat, same results.

Don't know why the battery was flat last night. Only possible explanation is when my wife put the Garmin back on the bike (she had borrowed it for a trip) she may not have gotten it shut off...otherwise no idea. Battery is coming up on 3 yrs old...could that be the issue? Can't think of how running the amp's hotwire to the battery could have somehow caused a battery drain.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
julesdain
Road Captain
Veteran: Canadian Forces
Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Can't think of how running the amp's hotwire to the battery could have somehow caused a battery drain.
It shouldn't if you have the ignition off. There has to be another reason for the drain even if you wife left the GPS on. The GPS would simply run on its internal battery until that ran out.

As a guess it's either your battery or your alternator is not charging your battery.