Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want gear driven cams for TC 88

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Harleyriding77
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want gear driven cams for TC 88

I have a 05 FLHT and with 23k on it I have started thinking of the cam chain tensioners. I have filtered through the posts on this topic, but I really cant make head or tails on what I find. I just want to upgrade to the gear cams. My motor is stock all the way and I dont care to upgrade the cam size I just want something like stock but in a gear cam. Anyone point and kick me in the right direction please?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

You need to check and make sure your runout is in spec first. The Andrews 12g cam is pretty much like the stock grind.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
2002EGlide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dawg, I have an 2002 FLHT and want to move to gear drive also. I seen in a past post you mentioned that the 02 had a better chance of having the correct run out. Is this true? I am going to order a dial indacator soon to see what I have.

Also, do you recomend the Andrews 26 cams with a carbed bike. I like the idea of the low to mid range torque. I do a lot of two up riding but it is also in Florida. The biggest mountain we have is an over pass on the interstate.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002EGlide
Dawg, I have an 2002 FLHT and want to move to gear drive also. I seen in a past post you mentioned that the 02 had a better chance of having the correct run out. Is this true? I am going to order a dial indacator soon to see what I have.

Also, do you recomend the Andrews 26 cams with a carbed bike. I like the idea of the low to mid range torque. I do a lot of two up riding but it is also in Florida. The biggest mountain we have is an over pass on the interstate.

Thank you for your advice in advance.
Yes 02 would have a better chance at crank runout being in spec because it was the last year of the Timken engine bearing and forged crank. The 26g will give you good low end. I ran the 26g in my 04 and was happy with it.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002EGlide

I am not Dawg, but I have seen it said many times here that 99-02 bikes have a MUCH better chance of having the minimal runout in favor of gear driven cams.

The previous owner installed them in my UC, and I'm thankful every time I crank her over that I don't have to worry about the sodding things.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrews 26 cams with a carbed bike. I like the idea of the low to mid range torque. I do a lot of two up riding but it is also in Florida. The biggest mountain we have is an over pass on the interstate.

I have the 26G cams on my 02 carb FLHTC, works very well..

Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have S&S 510's gear driven, while inside I did upgraded oil pump, new lifters, SE billet cam plate and SE premium adjustable push rods. 510 is a mild cam. I'm happy with it. Shameless plug;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLHCrOtwSE

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyriding77
I have a 05 FLHT and with 23k on it I have started thinking of the cam chain tensioners. I have filtered through the posts on this topic, but I really cant make head or tails on what I find. I just want to upgrade to the gear cams. My motor is stock all the way and I dont care to upgrade the cam size I just want something like stock but in a gear cam. Anyone point and kick me in the right direction please?
Click HERE and check the chart at the bottom of page 5. Note that the cams and gears come seperately.

And if your next question is "where can I find the best price", I had good luck with these folks on the cams, gears, pushrods, and installation kit as a package. Lowest prices I found, quick delivery, and they were very helpful when I ordered by phone.

Last edited by Sharknose; 05-23-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wen to Boston Harley of Saturday...

they has an S&S booth there. they had a cam tension setup and a gear setup that you could hand turn. The chain one was so hard to turn and that is how much drag is on ur motor. The gear one was smooth and seemed flawless.

***You do need to get the tolerances checked before you buy this set up though. The cams need to be checked and make sure that everything is in check before you have the gear setup installed. just an fyi

i can see this setup making the bike faster and more powerful with all that extra engine drag gone.

jc

Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The Andrews 26 is a great bagger cam assuming you're doing nothing else to your 88.

Quick Reply: Want gear driven cams for TC 88