Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bazooka MC-HD-AMK 4 Channel Amp? Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
EricFLTRU
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bazooka MC-HD-AMK 4 Channel Amp? Any Good?

Has anyone installed the Bazooka MC-HD-AMK in their ride? I am considering it for my FLTRU. It is 4chx50w at 2ohm with a plug and play wiring harness for $259.99 shipped to my door. It also has a sub-bass output for one of their Bazooka plug and play bass tubes that goes in the tourpack. The Amp supposedly installs in the fairing with little to no real work.

Any reviews? Anyone actually using it? How was the install? Good, Bad or Ugly? I know there are other amp options - this just seems like a great deal - looking for someone who's got this and what they might be willing to share...

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
SquireJim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EricFLTRU
Has anyone installed the Bazooka MC-HD-AMK in their ride? I am considering it for my FLTRU. It is 4chx50w at 2ohm with a plug and play wiring harness for $259.99 shipped to my door. It also has a sub-bass output for one of their Bazooka plug and play bass tubes that goes in the tourpack. The Amp supposedly installs in the fairing with little to no real work.

Any reviews? Anyone actually using it? How was the install? Good, Bad or Ugly? I know there are other amp options - this just seems like a great deal - looking for someone who's got this and what they might be willing to share...

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever install this? A buddy of mine bought this as a kit with four Bazooka speakers, and IT ROCKS!!! Were you adding the amp and keeping the four stock HD speakers, or replacing them as well? I'd like to hear your thoughts...

SquireJim

Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

I have one sitting here on my desk still in the box. I upgraded my fairing speakers to Infinity Kappa 6.5" and the rears to Kappa 5.25". I also have the CVO lower speaker boxes that I plan on adding along with another pair of the 6.5" Kappa's. At this point I'm considering ditching the Bazooka amp and going with something with more power although the ones I'm looking at would not fit into the fairing. I would mount it under the Tour Pak.

Still not sure. I like the idea and simplicity of the Bazooka though. Just not sure if it has enough power to drive all those speakers.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Well, I broke down and installed it last night. It's pretty easy to install although getting all that additional harness wiring tucked in was a pain in the ***. I was only able to listen to it in the garage as it was pouring down rain last night but it definitely makes a huge difference. I used the gain setting that they recommend (1 O'clock position) but I think it's a little too hot. I'll probably play around with it a bit more to see but I'm thinking the 11 or 12 O'clock position will be best.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:46 PM
SquireJim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by barkingspud
Well, I broke down and installed it last night. It's pretty easy to install although getting all that additional harness wiring tucked in was a pain in the ***. I was only able to listen to it in the garage as it was pouring down rain last night but it definitely makes a huge difference. I used the gain setting that they recommend (1 O'clock position) but I think it's a little too hot. I'll probably play around with it a bit more to see but I'm thinking the 11 or 12 O'clock position will be best.

Spud...
So, speaking from experience on this one, make sure the switch marked "HP/FULL" is set to "HP"...This will reduce distortion and heat, and allow the amp to go MUCH LOUDER!

Lemme know...

SquireJim

Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. I tried installing the same amp in my Ultra last weekend. It sounded really good, but I never could get the wiring harness tucked in enough to put the fairing back on. So, it is back in the box for now.................until I figure out how to handle the wires.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SquireJim
Spud...
So, speaking from experience on this one, make sure the switch marked "HP/FULL" is set to "HP"...This will reduce distortion and heat, and allow the amp to go MUCH LOUDER!

Lemme know...

SquireJim
I didn't think to look but it's pretty freakin loud. I wound up setting the gain to the 11 O'clock position. Not sure but I believe the HP=High Pass for the sub output. Not sure why that would make a difference but I'm going to check anyway. Thanks!

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
Subscribed. I tried installing the same amp in my Ultra last weekend. It sounded really good, but I never could get the wiring harness tucked in enough to put the fairing back on. So, it is back in the box for now.................until I figure out how to handle the wires.
Really? Just stuff everything under the radio. I originally had everything tied up top and that didn't work. It's going to be interesting when I get the iPod interface and mount that. I'm sure it's going to be a real pain.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
SquireJim
Intermediate

[QUOTE=barkingspud;9567630]I didn't think to look but it's pretty freakin loud. I wound up setting the gain to the 11 O'clock position. Not sure but I believe the HP=High Pass for the sub output. Not sure why that would make a difference but I'm going to check anyway. Thanks!

So, yes...you are correct...HP is hi-pass for a sub, BUT with speakers this size, and the fact that we listen to them with the addition of wind and road noise, you're better off filtering the low end...You won't miss the bass, and you will appreciate the gain in clarity and volume...With the amp switched to full range, you'll end up with the edges of the speaker cones distorting (edge diffraction) and distorting your sound...(I used to own a high-end stereo store in Central Florida) Try it, and let me know if you can hear the difference...

Jim

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

[quote=SquireJim;9568370]
Originally Posted by barkingspud
I didn't think to look but it's pretty freakin loud. I wound up setting the gain to the 11 O'clock position. Not sure but I believe the HP=High Pass for the sub output. Not sure why that would make a difference but I'm going to check anyway. Thanks!

So, yes...you are correct...HP is hi-pass for a sub, BUT with speakers this size, and the fact that we listen to them with the addition of wind and road noise, you're better off filtering the low end...You won't miss the bass, and you will appreciate the gain in clarity and volume...With the amp switched to full range, you'll end up with the edges of the speaker cones distorting (edge diffraction) and distorting your sound...(I used to own a high-end stereo store in Central Florida) Try it, and let me know if you can hear the difference...

Jim

Ok. After having it and finally sitting down to set the gain properly with a DMM I'd say, it's really not a full-range amp and it doesn't put out the power they claim. The best it could do is 11.6V AC which is 33.6 watts@4 ohms. Suffice to say, it DOES sound much better with the High Pass filter on. I'm sure it would be great with the optional Basstube they offer but I don't want to sacrifice my Tourpak.

Anyway, I'm probably going to swap it out for the pbr300.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
VRADMAN
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Pbr300

[quote=barkingspud;9786499]
Originally Posted by SquireJim

Ok. After having it and finally sitting down to set the gain properly with a DMM I'd say, it's really not a full-range amp and it doesn't put out the power they claim. The best it could do is 11.6V AC which is 33.6 watts@4 ohms. Suffice to say, it DOES sound much better with the High Pass filter on. I'm sure it would be great with the optional Basstube they offer but I don't want to sacrifice my Tourpak.

Anyway, I'm probably going to swap it out for the pbr300.
Curious, did you ever swop out the Bazooka with the RF300? I'm in the same situation and was wondering if the RF added much. Appreciate any info.

Quick Reply: Bazooka MC-HD-AMK 4 Channel Amp? Any Good?