Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 RKC Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
TheGreek
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RKC Seat Question

Hey all,

New to HD and new to this forum. I picked up my first HD about a month ago, 2011 silver RKC. I am loving it. I put about 1500 miles on it already. My daily commute is about 45 miles one way.

I am thinking about picking up the Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat tomorrow and wanted some opinions. I've read a ton of different ones on here about it. I'm 5'11", about 250lbs. I have no problem with my feet on the ground when stopped, and no problem with reach with the stock handle bars. My butt does get numb after about 30-40 minutes riding though, so I was hoping this seat would help with that. I will be riding 2 up, but not very often, mostly solo, but I plan to keep the 2 up seat on full time.

My concern is if I'm too big for the seat, I've read some folks say it pushes them forward. I don't think I need to be pushed forward, so curious how some of the guys my size have felt with this seat.

Anyway, any opinions are welcome. Sorry for the long post. As I start to customize the bike further, I'll be sending a bunch more questions. So far, I just some cosmetic stuff being added: footboards, grips, pegs, passenger backrest, etc......

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by TheGreek; 05-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the most helpful response here as it's not the same seat but I have the Sundowner Solo and it scooted me forward and hurts the coccyx (I love saying that). I was doing searches for new seat opinions myself and saw your thread and thought maybe it would be a little helpful.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the Sundowner Deep Bucket on my '07 Road King and on my '08 Road Glide and it's a good seat. Although everybody is different, I don't think that the Sundowner is going to solve your soreness; I think that's a matter of just spending time on the bike and getting those muscles used to being stationary for longer periods of time.

The newer Road King seats seem pretty comfortable to me, although I have not spent a lot of time on one. But I commute about 400 miles almost every week, and I have found that just spending time on the seat makes a world of difference. Same principle on a long tour: the first 500 mile day seems like torture to my butt, but after that I'm quite comfortable.

I'm about your same size, and the Sundowner Deep Bucket positioned me perfectly on both bikes. The geometry on the newer frames may be slightly different than my older models. If you have a HD dealer nearby, ride your bike over there one day and it's likely that he will let you try the Sundowner so that you can compare it to stock.

A very good reason to switch seats would be to modify positioning (taller, shorter, less reach, more reach), but since you seem satisfied with the position that the stock seat provides, I wonder if it would be worth spending a few weeks on it before you spend the $300 or so that a new seat costs.

Last edited by Pastor John; 05-28-2011 at 09:35 AM.