Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #3-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

‘05train, I didn’t mean to **** in your cheerios, guess I need to check my tone. Anyway, tuning these shocks is an individual experience, with the end result being different for each user. Just like tuning your engine, which is also unique to the bike, the build, and the rider’s preferences. The 1/3 sag is a street suspension set up guideline and a start point, which didn’t work for me. I swore I needed softer springs because the ride was so rough, I called Howard and he had me place a small zip tie around the piston rod on the bottom of the shock and push it all the way up to the body, then go ride. When I got back the zip ties were buried down in the bump stops, this demonstrated that I was bottoming out and I actually needed more preload, exactly opposite of what I thought. When I stopped bottoming I had added quite a few turns to the preload collar and my actual sag was closer to 1/4 total travel. Absolutely nothing wrong with this set up, not leaving anything on the table, and in my opinion, which is what matters to me on my bike’s suspension, it rides like a dream. With my solo setting, 2 up is a little soft but I ride much easier with my better half, so it’s not so bad that it creates undesirable handling characteristics. My wife only rides occasionally, so I choose to use the same setting, if she rode more frequently or was going on a long trip with me then I would probably add some more preload.