Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #3-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It's important to reiterate that these are not shocks that you just bolt on and go riding. Howard sets them up based on your bike and your weight, but the final adjustments are done by you.

Also remember that you have to set up the sag on these shocks, which means that your 13" shock is actually 12" when you're sitting on the bike.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Did a thousand miles this weekend out to Ohio. Rode the Triple Nickel and the Ohio Hydra. The wife and I loved the ride, but noticed that it wasn't so good at the end of the weekend.

Did the 30k this afternoon, and re-set the sag on the shocks. They definitely do "break-in" after about a thousand miles. We re-did our settings and went for a test ride. Huge improvement. If you haven't set your sag for both solo and 2-up riding you have no idea what you're missing.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,795 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Did a thousand miles this weekend out to Ohio. Rode the Triple Nickel and the Ohio Hydra. The wife and I loved the ride, but noticed that it wasn't so good at the end of the weekend.

Did the 30k this afternoon, and re-set the sag on the shocks. They definitely do "break-in" after about a thousand miles. We re-did our settings and went for a test ride. Huge improvement. If you haven't set your sag for both solo and 2-up riding you have no idea what you're missing.
Train,

Did you do the initial adjustment at 500 miles like Howard suggests? If so, did you notice a big difference from the initial setting?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Train,

Did you do the initial adjustment at 500 miles like Howard suggests? If so, did you notice a big difference from the initial setting?
I did it today at about 1,200 miles. Big, big difference. My wife and I spent the better part of an hour redoing our solo and 2-up settings. Anyone who thinks that their solo setting is fine for 2-up is nuts.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Anyone who thinks that their solo setting is fine for 2-up is nuts.
Really, you've had your shocks for all of 10 days and you think you got it all figured out well enough to claim that someone else's set up is wrong. If a 250 lb rider prefers a firm ride with a 105 lb passenger, do you think that the diference will be the same for a 180 lb rider that prefers a soft ride with a 160 lb passenger; point is too many variables to claim you know best for someone else, set yours up to suit yourself, and enjoy.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Really, you've had your shocks for all of 10 days and you think you got it all figured out well enough to claim that someone else's set up is wrong. If a 250 lb rider prefers a firm ride with a 105 lb passenger, do you think that the diference will be the same for a 180 lb rider that prefers a soft ride with a 160 lb passenger; point is too many variables to claim you know best for someone else, set yours up to suit yourself, and enjoy.
14 days and 1,500 miles with these shocks, 32 years of riding, 5 years of racing cars. Yes, I think I've got a handle on it.

If you think that your sag is going to be the same solo and 2-up, you're mistaken. You set sag at 1/3 of travel for a reason, and if you add a passenger or cargo to your bike, you're not at 1/3 sag. That means that you're losing piston stroke in compression. This has nothing to do with preferring a firm ride.

I don't care what you or your passenger weigh, if you're not set up properly, you're not getting your money's worth out of your shocks. This is why Howard has posted incredibly detailed installation instructions on his website, and why he offers to walk people through the process on the phone.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh, and for the record, I didn't call anyone's setup wrong. I said they're nuts for giving away suspension travel they paid for. The #3-3 and #3-4 shocks have a 77mm stroke. Rider sag is ideally 1/3 of stroke, or 25mm (we'll round for simplicity). At my solo setting, adding my 140 pound wife increased the sag from 25mm to 43mm. That's 18mm, or 23.4% of the available stroke, or a 35% reduction in the ideal stroke. That's huge. That also reduces your ground clearance. It makes no sense to me that someone would spend the money on premium shocks like these and not take the two minutes it requires to adjust them properly based on the load.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Another set of Howard's #3-3s here, just back home from a 2,750 mile trip to Hungary and Slovenia. I must revisit sag, so thanks for that tip!

As for buying Ohlins with or without the damping adjustment, the two versions are not the same. The #3 with adjusters have superior damping control compared with the #2s without. Don't buy #2s because you don't want to adjust damping, buy #3s to get better damping!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yet another Howard Fan!

Just put #3-4 shocks on my Road King and even the initial run shows big improvement. Howard is great to work with and a freaking hoot.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

First real ride today since I reset the sag. With the added preload and ride height, I was able to relax the sweep valve to smooth the ride out. Very nice being able to stiffen things up when I want to play, and smooth things out when I'm cruising. Still getting used to the bike sitting so high, but there are no negative effects of having the back end raised up. The bike corners like it's on a rail.

Quick Reply: Ohlins #3-4