Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bought a dryer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
There is a little article there about using a air compressor. Something to think about, but then again air compressors have been used before these moto blowers came out.

I guess a little common sense with using the proper pressure needs to be mentioned again! Not sure where the "oil" issue that the article mentions comes from, unless you have an inline oilier I suppose. Please do not get me wrong these dryer's I am sure are the cats meow, just not sure they are worth the coin is all.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the blowing feature on my Shop Vac, works very well. When I'm done blow drying I go over the bike with a microfiber towel and some Pledge. Cleaned her up real well last night. Now gonna go put some NeverDull on the chrome.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Beanerflhx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop Vac (Clean the inside, new filter & Bag) works great

Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

My leaf blower with a small nozzle works great. No need to spend another $120 on a "motorcycle" blower, IMO.
The money I save, I spend it on Lemon Pledge, which is the only stuff I put on the chrome and tins after I wash the bike. I tried a lot of products and Lemon Pledge works the best for me ............and I have a black bike.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have used my air compresser for years and it works great. I turn the pressure down a bit when I use it, but it does a great job and with the little size of the dryer wand you can get down in all the nooks and crannies.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy
Does it work better than my air compressor with a blow gun on it?
I am rather shocked that numerous "experts" here have not leaped in and pummeled you with their vastly superior intelligence as to why it is so evil to use compressed air rather than some pricey "Mega Spectacular Turbo Venturi Ram Effect Air Blow Dry System and Masturbator".

Anyway, SUPPOSEDLY using compressed air blows tiny pieces of dirt or other crap at high velocity into the paint where said crap embeds itself. I think this is true if you are using 120psi and getting real close with a small diameter nozzle. I think if you stand back some and not use near as much pressure it should be OK. Got to watch highly compressed air as it can peel paint off if it is already peeling or flaking.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine works pretty good as long as you don't get it too close.

Attached Thumbnails Finally bought a dryer-220px-f100_f-15_engine.jpg  
Old 05-21-2011, 11:42 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,708 Likes on 1,528 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by HRLYSG
I use the Cycle Dry Motorcycle Air Dryer, mostly up around the heads of the motor. Works good. Not too costly.
This is what I use now too. I picked a new one up at a swapmeet a couple of years ago. $35.00 and it's still working just fine. It came with a spare set of brushes for the electric motor, a nice touch.

Shopvac, MasterBlasters, etc. work well but I don't like dragging the hose around the bike, it Always gets caught on something. This handheld unit is a bargain.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Give us a post after you give it a workout. Been looking into these myself and would appreciate your review on this.
I have not read the replies yet, so I am not sure if it is already mentioned or not, but this is my suggestion.

I would check with autoanything (I think I bought mine here), or someone like this, and get the larger metro blower, they are who makes the HD one, and they actually make two sizes, the smaller one that they and HD sell and a larger one. I purchased the larger one (almost twice the power) and had it shipped for about the same amount as the HD unit (maybe less). It is hard to remember now, I have had it for a few years.

For the recommendation, I recommend it highly. A few days ago I would have recommended it, just not as much as I will at this moment. The reason I speak more highly of it now is, I am out of town and a couple of days ago I had to wash and dry my bike with a towel (first time without a blower in a long time) and now I am reminded of how much trouble it was, so I would buy another tomorrow, if mine quit (heck might just buy a spare, so I don't have to wait).

OK, I have now read the replies and reply 14 and 18, mention the Metro blower, not sure if they have the large on or not but this is the manufacturer.

Last edited by Copyless; 05-21-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
I guess a little common sense with using the proper pressure needs to be mentioned again! Not sure where the "oil" issue that the article mentions comes from, unless you have an inline oilier I suppose. Please do not get me wrong these dryer's I am sure are the cats meow, just not sure they are worth the coin is all.
I agree on common sense. I wish I would have used it when I decided to use a leaf blower to dry my SG.

Quick Reply: Finally bought a dryer