Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK radio firmware upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default HK radio firmware upgrade

Has anyone upgraded from HK stereo firmware 8.19 to the new 8.25 yet? I've been using 8.19 for 2-3 years and have no major complaints, but would like to know if there are any good reasons to upgrade. I emailed Hogtunes and they didn't have an opinion, but suggested keeping the unit upgraded. OTOH, when it comes to firmware I don't upgrade unless there is a good reason, as Murphy sometimes intervenes.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it and saw no difference. Some people think it fixes an issue with the unit keeping correct time but I never had an issue with that. No new features jump out at me.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

How do you check the firmware and upgrade it if necessary? I have an 11 Limited. Is the procedure in the owners manual?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

The site says 11 should already be at latest. Check by holding any 2 numbered keys down while turning ign. on wait for radio to boot and you will get options on screen and you can check firmware version. website for upgrade info is here.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM
MattInFla
Road Master

Here is the download page, which has instructions on how to check your firmware version.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBass
The site says 11 should already be at latest. Check by holding any 2 numbered keys down while turning ign. on wait for radio to boot and you will get options on screen and you can check firmware version. website for upgrade info is here.

Thank you, I will check it when I get home.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser

I upgraded mine a few weeks ago. If I remember right the version on the radio was 8.22. I too was wondering what if any fixes were included in 8.25. Or worse, what new bugs it might introduce. So far, I've detected no difference either way. Although I have to admit I really don't use the CB or intercom.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by HDThunder
I upgraded mine a few weeks ago. If I remember right the version on the radio was 8.22. I too was wondering what if any fixes were included in 8.25. Or worse, what new bugs it might introduce. So far, I've detected no difference either way. Although I have to admit I really don't use the CB or intercom.
... What he said.

will say try something differant than the Windows software to burn your disk. I tried on 4 assorted brands of CD disks using the windows burn utility...it would not work/load/read the files. I downloaded and installed a trial version of the Nero program and it worked right away without any hang-ups

Cant say I notice any major audio improvements... other than the radio does not seem to turn itself on by itself like it used too whenever I turn on the ignition. It used to do that all the time even when I know I made certain I would power off the radio before I killed the ignition...maybe I had a gremlin in my radio that was doing this and the new upgrade chased it awayy

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRBass
I did it and saw no difference. Some people think it fixes an issue with the unit keeping correct time but I never had an issue with that. No new features jump out at me.
The time adjustment was done back in v 8.09 or 8.11, I can't really remember what each update has changed since there has been so many updates. This is a little info (hopefully I remember most of them right) as mentioned time adjustment in above revision, 8.18 fixed the random source problem, 8.19 added cd titles to the radio instead of just track numbers, 8.22 made some adjustments to the cd player and to the AVC, and so on.

So if people have read about the update and are trying to do this because their clock loses time, I am going to say it will not help unless you check your version and it is below 8.10.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

upgraded software a couple months ago and can tell no difference in radio or functions. Will upgrade though each time new software comes out.......gotta be a reason for the new release even if I can't hear it! just my 2 cents....

Quick Reply: HK radio firmware upgrade