Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK radio firmware upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Has anyone upgraded from HK stereo firmware 8.19 to the new 8.25 yet? I've been using 8.19 for 2-3 years and have no major complaints, but would like to know if there are any good reasons to upgrade. I emailed Hogtunes and they didn't have an opinion, but suggested keeping the unit upgraded. OTOH, when it comes to firmware I don't upgrade unless there is a good reason, as Murphy sometimes intervenes.
I was in the same position and phoned Iron Cross Audio about changing from 8.19 to 8.25. Basically Tony at ICA told me that if I was happy with 8.19, don't bother with 8.25. He mentioned the 8.25 does something with VOX, but I don't recall the particulars, and VOX is not something I use. I wish I could relate the details of our conversation (it wasn't long), but I quickly concluded that I was happy with 8.19 and nothing in 8.25 was worth messing with.

Shoot Tony an email or call him and ask.

Carl

Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe 8.25 made adjustments to the frequency range of the VOX ( for activation problems) and also adjusted the timing of it so it would stay on a little longer during transmission, so the person speaking would not lose the first word or so of the conversation, after the initial activation.

Sorry, I guess I did leave out 8.25 in my previous reply, it should have been the easiest for me to remember, since it is the newest. I guess when you start getting older and forgetting crap, you forget in no particular order.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Moore299
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
I guess when you start getting older and forgetting crap, you forget in no particular order.
I had a reply to that but forgot what it was when I started to type.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,315 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Has anyone upgraded from HK stereo firmware 8.19 to the new 8.25 yet? I've been using 8.19 for 2-3 years and have no major complaints, but would like to know if there are any good reasons to upgrade. I emailed Hogtunes and they didn't have an opinion, but suggested keeping the unit upgraded. OTOH, when it comes to firmware I don't upgrade unless there is a good reason, as Murphy sometimes intervenes.
I did it last week, I saw no difference, but I could not update the iPod integrator firmware until I did the radio firmware update.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess I'll leave it at 8.19, since if it ain't broke I shouldn't fix it. Sometimes firmware upgrades can go wrong and disable the unit, so you then go from ain't broke to very broke, which isn't a good thing if you don't know why you tried to fix it in the first place.

Last edited by iclick; 05-20-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I won't lose any sleep by not upgrading my radio......

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a vote for leaving it alone if it's working okay. The first few updates back in 06-07 had bugs that caused some problems. It would be nice to assume that they wouldn't release something unless it worked perfectly and made an improvement, but the HK update history doesn't support that.

I just checked mine and I have 8.19 as well, and since I don't have CB I couldn't care less about VOX improvements.

Last edited by Sharknose; 05-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I down loaded the update but it will not update the radio. Right now I have 19 and would like to bring it up to 25. Any ideas ???

Be Safe JIM

Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Just a vote for leaving it alone if it's working okay.

I just checked mine and I have 8.19 as well, and since I don't have CB I couldn't care less about VOX improvements.
I'm just wondering what we missed with the 8.22 upgrade. Copyless mentioned that it "made some adjustments to the cd player and to the AVC." I have no complaints about either, so I'm still planning on leaving it at 8.19.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this update and would offer these suggestions.

I have an HP PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. I tried burning the two files from the document list using Windows software. I put the CD in the radio per instructions on the web site and the radio stuck with a display of "verifying DSP image).

I came back and reread this posting and noticed that a suggestion was mad not to use Windows to make the CD and that others reported issues getting it to update.

I pushed the F1 key and brought up help and the CD help file suggested using a software called CyberLink Power2Go to burn the CD. Apparently HP put this software on the PC. I used this software to burn the two files and again tried to update the radio.

This time it worked fine. There was a slight difference in how it worked compared to the instruction. The instructions said the radio would reboot twice and go to the Diag Test screen and that you would have to push "exit" to return to normal radio mode. I only saw the radio reboot once and when finished it returned to normal radio mode on its own.

I guess something about the Windows file writing software was not compatible with the radio.

I hope this helps others.

Quick Reply: HK radio firmware upgrade