Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street vs Road Glide Seat Height

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Street vs Road Glide Seat Height

I am always hearing various opinions on both of these glides regarding:

• Fugliness
  • Exclusivity
  • Maneuverability
  • Fixed vs. moving headlights
  • Wind buffeting

Why is it that I never hear mentioned that the RGU's set height is at 29.1 inches, as in the Electra Glides, or have I just missed it (most likely).

I come from a Softail background, but to me, 29 inches is way up there. Does one seem to sit "IN" rather than "ON" one versus the other?

Please advise. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

27.3" RGU vs 26.1" RG vs 26.3" SG (laden 180 lbs)

Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, but I was thinking of my aging self trying to swing a leg with a boot over a 29.1 inch seat. On my Softail, I swing my leg around behind since it's low and there are no rear bags to scratch.

Never having ridden a bagger, I also am concerned about seeing nothing directly in front of me save for an awesome looking cockpit. Though they look prettier than pot holes, it's something that has me thinking. I'm just going to have to try one.

Straying from my topic a bit here, what else does one have to get used to besides weight, and does it take a long time? I could enjoy the smoothness of an RG ride as opposed to a Softail.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

about 5 min to adjust but the gin and boner don't go away

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by alkrisma
about 5 min to adjust but the gin and boner don't go away
meant to type 'GRIN'

Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Yes, but I was thinking of my aging self trying to swing a leg with a boot over a 29.1 inch seat. On my Softail, I swing my leg around behind since it's low and there are no rear bags to scratch.

Never having ridden a bagger, I also am concerned about seeing nothing directly in front of me save for an awesome looking cockpit. Though they look prettier than pot holes, it's something that has me thinking. I'm just going to have to try one.

Straying from my topic a bit here, what else does one have to get used to besides weight, and does it take a long time? I could enjoy the smoothness of an RG ride as opposed to a Softail.
I went from a Softail to a RoadGlide, and am now on my second RoadGlide.

I get on from the right side, and slide my foot through the drivers seat. Easier than swinging my leg over on the Softail.

Weight is not that much of a factor. The level of comfort is huge. I rode my Softail to Sturgis.... that caused my to buy my first RoadGlide.

Visibility in front of the fairing is better than what you are imagining. Go to a dealer and sit on one. But put your bank on notice before you do

Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
I went from a Softail to a RoadGlide, and am now on my second RoadGlide.

I get on from the right side, and slide my foot through the drivers seat. Easier than swinging my leg over on the Softail.

Weight is not that much of a factor. The level of comfort is huge. I rode my Softail to Sturgis.... that caused my to buy my first RoadGlide.

Visibility in front of the fairing is better than what you are imagining. Go to a dealer and sit on one. But put your bank on notice before you do

Heading there now...thanks!!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

if you're looking that closely in front of your wheel, you're doing it wrong. you should be seeing the potholes with at least enough time to avoid them easily.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
if you're looking that closely in front of your wheel, you're doing it wrong. you should be seeing the potholes with at least enough time to avoid them easily.

True, and I know I don't look at the front wheel, as I try to avoid target fixation. Nevertheless, you heard the stories of those who are knocking over cones that they just can't see while taking a MC road test with a touring bike.

Yes? No?

Also, I sat on a Road Glide, a Street Glide, and a Electra Glide in Showroom. All felt "doable" despite the weight. I'd need to ride them to see the whole truth. One of these days...

The seat height was no problem for me on any of those bikes as my feet were firmly planted on all three. I felt that the RGU needed the bars rotated a little more toward me though.

Any more commentary out there? I'll take all you could toss my way. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

True, and I know I don't look at the front wheel, as I try to avoid target fixation. Nevertheless, you heard the stories of those who are knocking over cones that they just can't see while taking a MC road test with a touring bike.

Yes? No?

Also, I sat on a Road Glide, a Street Glide, and a Electra Glide in Showroom. All felt "doable" despite the weight. I'd need to ride them to see the whole truth. One of these days...

The seat height was no problem for me on any of those bikes as my feet were firmly planted on all three. I felt that the RGU needed the bars rotated a little more toward me though.

Any more commentary out there? I'll take all you could toss my way. Thanks again.
i'll give you the cones. i have a hard time with those on a bike with a windshield. not because of target fixation, but because sometimes it's hard to tell where they actually want you to go. i think they tried to lay out a course that needed 80 cones only using 40....

i don't have a lot of personal experience with a softail, but i can tell you that i love my rg. i have short legs so i went with the danny grey speed cradle solo, 11.25 inch shocks from bitchin baggers, and i did rotate the handlebars back towards me about an inch. lots of folks change out the stock bars for the heritage style bars.

once the shark bites a hold of you, it doesn't let go. 2 years ago, i hated the road glide. positively thought it was the ugliest bike hd had ever made. enter the road glide custom in denim black. ''hmmm, that looks interesting....'' next thing i know, the wife is telling me to 'get off the pot and buy the damn thing!'

i love this woman

c'mon, jump in the tank. the water's fine.

Quick Reply: Street vs Road Glide Seat Height