Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 665 on FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM
dooz28
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zumo 665 on FLHT

I am using a handlebar mount to attach a Garmin Zumo 665 to an '09 FLHT (no radio). That part is already done. Anyone have any advice regarding preferences for relatively easy electrical and GXM40 antenna hookups using the included wiring harness? I have read other threads discussing other Zumo models (550 and 660); what works best? So far, wiring into back of cigar lighter looks best. Would using accessory switch be just as easy and beneficial? I'd like to avoid running the wiring harness under the gas tank and back to the fuse panel; doesn't seem to make sense, especially when you have to use same harness to run GXM40 antenna back to the front of the bike. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connect to the power connections behind the fairing. Remove the fairing. I threaded my power wires through the grommet into the area behind the fairing. I attached blade connectors to the wires and plugged them into existing connections that were unused in the wiring harness. Now, the GPS powers on automatically when the bike is turned on. A nice clean install. I got the blade connectors at the dealership so I would know they fit the harness. It cost me less than $2 for the parts (maybe it was 0.90). Cheapest trip I've ever made to the Harley store.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want great advice on the 665 as well as mounting your GPS go to Zumoforums .com You will get plenty of expert advice as well as the instructions you seek.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 AM
dooz28
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It's done

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread and many others. Researched this one to death because I didn't want to screw up a very expensive device (and bike). Anyway, decided to take skydrifter's advice on another thread and wire to the back of the cigarette lighter. Enlisted the help of a buddy who did a quick splice and solder for a nice clean job. Used shrink-wrap insulation for exposed wire. Mounted the GXM-40 antenna (and my EZ-Pass device) on top of the radio box. Took about fifteen minutes once I decided what I wanted done. Works great. Cost me two cans of domestic beer.

I like the 665 a lot so far, but Garmin's and Harley's installation instructions could have been a lot more clear in many ways. Instructions really didn't make sense with regard what to do with the wiring harness given its length. Something much closer to "plug and play" capability for those with limited spatial intelligence and electrical knowledge would be helpful. (It is possible to plug and play this, but there would be wires dragging along the road.)