Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally changed the mirrors on the Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally changed the mirrors on the Street Glide

Changed the stock mirrors on the street glide, what a difference in visibility.
Not sure why Harley doesn't put these on in the factory like they do the electra glide.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish we would've run across each other earlier -- I was so used to the mirrors on my SG that when I went to the EGC, it (SG mirror set) was one of the first parts I ordered.

True though -- The regular mirrors give you a somewhat wider field -- But I took care of that with some creatively-placed blind-spot mirrors (and not where HD put those new dual-view things).

Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What did you use to plug the holes?
Thanks

Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it looks like you're using the mirror stem extensions. i hated the mirrors on my 08 streetglide since i bought it new in 08, but i've got use to them. i also have a black set of stock harley mirrors that are just like the ones you're using, only black. i'm just going to leave the stock sg mirrors in place, get a pair of mirror extensions like you're using and use the black mirrors i have along with the stem extensions. who knows, it may remind me of the quadraphenia album by the who, decades ago where the vespa rider had about 20 mirrors on his scooter.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by drspencer
What did you use to plug the holes?
Thanks
Get these from your dealer, Part #s 732 and 755 are plugs made for this. They are mentioned as being needed when you replace your bars with the HD apes. I bought them and I had to ream out the small hole with a drill bit by hand but it wasn't a major undertaking.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
it looks like you're using the mirror stem extensions. i hated the mirrors on my 08 streetglide since i bought it new in 08, but i've got use to them. i also have a black set of stock harley mirrors that are just like the ones you're using, only black. i'm just going to leave the stock sg mirrors in place, get a pair of mirror extensions like you're using and use the black mirrors i have along with the stem extensions. who knows, it may remind me of the quadraphenia album by the who, decades ago where the vespa rider had about 20 mirrors on his scooter.

I put the kuryakyn blind spot mirrors on my fairing and they are way better than the stock sg mirrors. Night and day!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by homerandpooh
Get these from your dealer, Part #s 732 and 755 are plugs made for this. They are mentioned as being needed when you replace your bars with the HD apes. I bought them and I had to ream out the small hole with a drill bit by hand but it wasn't a major undertaking.
How do those look when installed?

Don't those parts leave the fairing with 4 plugs, as opposed to 2?

Thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM
soulpony
Road Captain

I bought 3/4 inch plastic plugs at ACE hardware, 60 cents a piece, used a dremel to make the holes the right size, working from inside of the fairing, sealed them on the inside and works great.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Funny...I just found the stock mirrors from my old 05 XL1200C and was thinking about giving them a try on my FLHX. Looks like they'll fit nicely...great job!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just mounted a set of CVO Rumble Collection mirrors.

Quick Reply: Finally changed the mirrors on the Street Glide