Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
AKPhotoGuy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2010-2011 Kerker Stouts on my 2011 FLHR, stock headpipe with CAT still in. I think they sound great. Deep low rumble on idle, not loud enough to annoy the neighbors at 5am warmup. Loud at WOT, and noticibly louder at cruise than stock, but not too much so. Comfortable sound for long rides...did 600+ miles on Friday, enjoyed the sound. Very happy I chose these pipes. Like the deep growl

Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The whole purpose of puttin free flow mufflers on was to complement the free flowing Header pipes. That's why I went with the Fuel moto header pipes. TO GIT Rid of the CAT.
Why change to free flow mufflers if yer going to leave the cats in.
The CAT is EPA stuff. That's what we want to take off out bike to git rid of some heat.
Then put a thunder-max tuner on it.
My 09 model Stouts sound has changed after a few thousand miles.
I like them even better now.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
AKPhotoGuy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Why change to free flow mufflers if yer going to leave the cats in."

I was simply stating my setup in relation to the first post. I am happy with my setup, and am not very concerned with heat in Alaska.

I know most folks are pulling the CATS or are replacing the headpipe. I didn't want to do all of that, just gain a few HP and have better sound. IMHO, much better sound, power and torque with just slip ons and stage 1 than I had stock. Even with the CATS the Kerkers sound awesome.

If we all had the same setup on our bikes, this wouldnt' be an interesting hobby anymore. :P

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKPhotoGuy
"Why change to free flow mufflers if yer going to leave the cats in."

I was simply stating my setup in relation to the first post. I am happy with my setup, and am not very concerned with heat in Alaska.

I know most folks are pulling the CATS or are replacing the headpipe. I didn't want to do all of that, just gain a few HP and have better sound. IMHO, much better sound, power and torque with just slip ons and stage 1 than I had stock. Even with the CATS the Kerkers sound awesome.

If we all had the same setup on our bikes, this wouldnt' be an interesting hobby anymore. :P
ditto. I have cats in my headers with free flowing slipons (st se series for cat headers) stage 1 a/c and tts mastertune and it sounds great and runs great with no unbearable heat. Funny thing is for years every once and a while I would hear that perfect to my ear harley sound you know that low deep rumble that just sounded perfect without being obnoxious and that is exactly what I ended up with.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder why it is when someone want you to hear what a set of mufflers sound like they stick the microphone right next to the exhaust outlet.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shortride
I wonder why it is when someone want you to hear what a set of mufflers sound like they stick the microphone right next to the exhaust outlet.
I agree they should do a drive by recording. Not like most people have thier ear up against the muffler LOL.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

All I had to record the sound was a Iphone. I tried a camera and it was not much better.

If you are lookin for the best power for the money . A CAm is the best choice.

And before I would spend the money on a TTS mastertune which is a upgraded SE race tuner. I would look at a Thunder-Max.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cardboard
All I had to record the sound was a Iphone. I tried a camera and it was not much better.

If you are lookin for the best power for the money . A CAm is the best choice.

And before I would spend the money on a TTS mastertune which is a upgraded SE race tuner. I would look at a Thunder-Max.
I agree with the cam but the TTS is far more user friendly then the SERT and much cheaper then the tmax and you do need to change the stock headers due to the wide band O2 sensors required by tmax. I looked into the tmax and went with the tts and I am a computer dummy and I was able to get a very good tune vtuning with it.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I agree with the cam but the TTS is far more user friendly then the SERT and much cheaper then the tmax and you do need to change the stock headers due to the wide band O2 sensors required by tmax. I looked into the tmax and went with the tts and I am a computer dummy and I was able to get a very good tune vtuning with it.
Bob woods 555 is the newest cam and putin out good numbers. He designed it off his TW6H cam I think it was that is a 590 lift.
Only the 555 is a 555 lift and same duration so you don't have to worry about changin the valve springs.
The Thunder-Max is the best tuner to work with for tuning yer bike.
Got at least 10 buddies that has done builds on bikes besides me and took the Power Commanders off and went to Thunder-Max.
Had a Thunder-Max on a Build 07 bike and it was a killer good tuner.
Got 2 buddys that put the TTS on their bike and had them dynoed and took them off.
Had a Sert on a bike in 07 and didn't care for it. And didn't like going and having it dynoed .
I personally am not a fan of the TTS mastertune.