Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There must be a better kickstand......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There must be a better kickstand......

Search as I might; I just can't seem to find a better kick (jiffy) stand for my '06 touring scoot.

To date I have broken 2 kick stand springs riding over parking lot speed bumps. Some of these bumps are getting ridiculously high.

Anyway; where better to ask for recommendations than from people who use the product.

I have seen some jiffy stands with the spring "inside" which looks good - it's just that the web page that listed them did not .....Well let's leave it at that.

Would love to receive your advice and recommendations....

Thanks

Ride In Peace

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You actually bottom-out and it takes out the spring when the stand is up?

I found mine to be a pain in the *** too. The bike wants to roll forward when you set it on the stand, yes even in gear. After some looking I found the spring was on backwards. After putting on the spring correctly it still wants to roll but not as much or as bad. I miss the center-stands...

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man you are hitting some bumps pretty hard. I have an 06 ultra and no problems at all.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

Sounds like you need to take it slower when crossing speed bumps.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time I've lost my spring (06 RG, same frame as you) was pushing it onto a trailer with the ramp at too steep of an angle. (Settle down, it wouldn't run and I was hauling it to the shop.)

My advice would be to ride around the speed bumps.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM
J.L.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost my spring to on a low driveway entry at the local Subway. Was able to pick it up and with a friends Leathermen was able to put it back on. It is now tied to the frame with a short piece of stainless downrigger cable so I won't lose it if it comes loose again.

J.L.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
marines267
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kick stands on harleys are locking kick stands so you can park a Harley on a hill facing down hill and it will not roll off of the stand unlike metric bikes

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have seen and used a lot of kickstands on different brand bikes and I do not believe any bike has as good a kickstand as Harley.

As to the bike rolling forward, that is common if the bike is facing downhill and is not a problem as it is in it's locked position. As long as the weight of the bike is on the stand it will not snap or come up, unlike most every other brand. My dealer once demonstrated that by having the bike in neutral and on the stand and then pushing it forward for a good twenty feet with no problem. Out of habit I always pull mine back after it is on the stand. Not sure why but probably from owning another brand many years ago.

I have never lost or broken the spring on any of my Harleys.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is a better kick stand out there. Hard to believe you are knocking the spring off not once but twice. Maybe try to watch where you're going and be a lil more careful. Although I have bottomed out coming out of trailers, once on the tailgate of a pick-up(now that was exciting with a dresser) and driving over a curb and have never lost the spring.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO,Harley has the best kickstand out there on Touring bikes. Take it easy going over speed bumps

Quick Reply: There must be a better kickstand......