Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There must be a better kickstand......

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
sulkaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steelpony5555
I don't think there is a better kick stand out there. Hard to believe you are knocking the spring off not once but twice. Maybe try to watch where you're going and be a lil more careful. Although I have bottomed out coming out of trailers, once on the tailgate of a pick-up(now that was exciting with a dresser) and driving over a curb and have never lost the spring.
Is there a kickstand that doesn't rust? I'd like to buy that kickstand. Point me in the right direction.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 AM
jlucke89
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the center stands that you can buy?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost dropped my bike yesterday due to the kickstand.. It was probably me not being careful, but it scared the crap out of me, and came down on my right shin a bit before I was able to get it back upright. I put the kickstand down and got off and it started to roll forward (on a flat even parking lot). On my Dyna, the kickstand leaned forward, but on my SG it leans back. Something just doesn't seem quite right.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Love the HD Jiffy stand, never had a problem. Like others have said, try riding slower or go around them. Good luck.

I like the fact it rolls forward a bit too. It's HDs way of pointing out the newbees by them jumping out of their skins!!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Love the HD Jiffy stand, never had a problem. Like others have said, try riding slower or go around them. Good luck.

I like the fact it rolls forward a bit too. It's HDs way of pointing out the newbees by them jumping out of their skins!!
The little roll used to bother me, now I just have a habit of putting the jiffy stand down and then slightly kicking it forward to make sure it is all the way down before I get off. With short legs you are never quite sure you got it fully extended.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Get a copy of JP Cycle parts book. If there's a better jiffy out there, it probably would be in there.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If you ever go watch a police motorcycle competition you will see them mount their bike, then their buddy come place a small wire tie around the kickstand to hold it up. This is just incase that they drag bottom while makeing them turns and knock the spring off again. When they finish thaey just step on it to pop it and if they should put a large one the buddy has to come cut it so that he can put it down. If it should drop during the competition their out as they dont want to get hurt with a kickstand sticking out. You know the ones that it happened to because they are tied.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the Jiffy stand, takes a little getting used to, as I have been riding them since Christ was a Corporal I think I have
But,,,, I love my Center Stand, makes cleaning a Breeze.
Ride Safe, watch for those road hazards....

Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
Search as I might; I just can't seem to find a better kick (jiffy) stand for my '06 touring scoot.

To date I have broken 2 kick stand springs riding over parking lot speed bumps. Some of these bumps are getting ridiculously high.

Anyway; where better to ask for recommendations than from people who use the product.
I have seen some jiffy stands with the spring "inside" which looks good - it's just that the web page that listed them did not .....Well let's leave it at that.

Would love to receive your advice and recommendations....

Thanks

Ride In Peace
Just wondering if your bike has been lowered?...I find the kick stand on touring models to be well designed...The main problems I have seen are when the bikes are loaded on trailers with a steep incline...And I have replaced springs on police duty bikes as they see some pretty severe duty such as jumping curbs and some off road riding at times...Under normal use failures are very rare.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I never have broke a jiffy stand spring
but i have knocked two of them off
on the speed bumps at the high school.
You would think that i would have
learned better but no maby third time
will be a charm. the first spring streched
so bad that i had to replace it the second
one streched enough that my jiffy stand
hangs loose in the up position

Quick Reply: There must be a better kickstand......