Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild performance build with stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Mild performance build with stock cam

I realize this is a stupid idea and a waste of time, from a bang for buck viewpiont, but I am curious if anyone has done 95", 1.725 rockers, offset cam key, or any combination of the three, without changing out the OEM cams. If so what were the results. I have no intention of planing a build like this, just wondering how it worked out for anyone who did it.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you answered your own question.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The stock cams are the motor equivalant of catalytic converters. The negative overlap period shuts down exhaust scavenging in the pursuit of reduced emissions, and very effectively chokes down performance. A mild bolt in cam is one of the best mods you can do to a twinkie, especially ones built after about 2006, when the cams started getting really bad.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I realize this is a stupid idea and a waste of time, from a bang for buck viewpiont, but I am curious if anyone has done 95", 1.725 rockers, offset cam key, or any combination of the three, without changing out the OEM cams. If so what were the results. I have no intention of planing a build like this, just wondering how it worked out for anyone who did it.
That's kind of like putting on your socks before you take a shower.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

This is fabulous, thanks for all the thoughtfull and relevant replies. Can you believe that someone recently suggested that I underestimate the value of this forum. Thanks all

Old 05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

"This is fabulous, thanks for all the thoughtfull and relevant replies. Can you believe that someone recently suggested that I underestimate the value of this forum. Thanks all "

sooo.... you're asking a question about something you recognize is stupid, a waste of time and you have no plans to do it. yet you're hoping someone will put some thought into a response.....

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I would do a Quality Stage 1 consisting of a good set of pipes, preferably a 2-1, a Stage 1 air cleaner and a good adjustable tuner. You'll not do much better performance wise going to a 95" with stock cams. The cams would be the limiting factor and would make the most sense as the next upgrade in performance after a simple Stage 1.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Cam advancer

Because the cams beginning in 2005 CA and 2006 everywhere else are emissions driven,
advancing the cam will actually make it run worse. My godson's 2004 bagger is stage
one and runs past my 2006 SG with a stage one and PC III any time he feels like it. My
mileage is also worse even with a PC "mileage tune". For what's it's worth. BTW - I don't
think there are dumb questions on this forum but there sure are a few rude know-it-all
folk.