Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let my indy do it

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any service done whether by the dealer or an indy is only as good as the mechanic doing it. There are good and bad mechanics with both. Believe it or not there are over 35 check points to be done in the first 1K service and the reason to check them all is because as we all know the factory does miss some things on these bikes and this is the time to find them. My dealer mechanic found a missing cotter pin on my rear brake master cylinder pin during the first service (my first 2 services were free, part of the deal). Confidence in who is doing the work is very important. By the way, I do all my own service work (everything).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly right Dave, confidence is the key.......I guess when you haven't had any work done at the dealer it is sort of a crapshoot

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,550 Likes on 22,688 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I was thinking of doing it myself but the steering head lubrication looks to be a bit much for me. [ I wonder if they really do that] So do you guys think I'm making a good call on this?

Do you mean the Neck Bearing?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 AM
coiledup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your sales contract, I know that in California or at least my dealer, the first 1000 mile service had to be done by them. It was in my contract. It was good that I did go there because they found blemishes in the chrome on both cylinder head covers, replaced both under factory warranty. But yeah trust is a big part of letting someone else working on your scoot. I have a great relationship with my dealer, and have found that taking my bike to indys in my area hasn't saved me enough money to warrant going back to them. Either i have been screwed or someone I know has been screwed by them.. So I pay the little extra, when I can't do it myself, and let my dealer do the work. So far so good.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM
CC Rainman
Tourer

The neck bearing is easy. There is a grease fitting on the neck.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CC Rainman
Yes it is just fill it till it comes out top and bottom. Then take little pieces of rag and clean up the mess. Takes a little time but not hard at all. I do it all myself and get satisfaction that the guy working on it (me) uses a torque wrench on everything.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
I do it all myself and get satisfaction that the guy working on it (me) uses a torque wrench on everything.
Bingo- For the money even the indy is charging you can buy a decent craftsman torque wrench and the service manual. The actual 1000 mile service is a cakewalk and spending an hour in the garage checking the torque on every nut and bolt you can reach is a great way to get to know your bike while making sure it is as safe as possible. I have enough to worry about while riding. The last thing I want is to be second guessing whether or not a mechanic took shortcuts in order to make book time on my bike. NOBODY cares about your bike and safety as much as YOU.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I always buy my Amsoil by the case, have been since shortly after I got my 2000 1200-C.
I could easily do the 1000 mile service my self, except for greasing the steering head bearings, that looks like more then I could handle.
Hell, I do my own oil change and then, just swing by the dealer for a chat.. While you're there ask them if one of the guys can shoot some grease in the neck. Mine does it for free. Geesh it's like 2 pumps.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CC Rainman
My God man, thanks, I had no idea there was a grease fitting in the neck. I was going to pic up the service manual when I went in to buy the derby gasket and oil filter. When I looked at the list and seen lubricate steering head bearings I just assumed I would need to take the front end apart.
That was the only way I could do that on
my last 2 Harley's, they didn't have a grease fitting.
Now I can cancel my 1000 mile service with the indy and do it my self.
Thanks a bunch.
I will keep all receipts, and log in the day and mileage, then check off each procedure on the list.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 AM
jd533
Road Captain

My dealer throws in the 1k free with the bike. I do have to pay for the syn. if I use it instead ( which I do). I know, nothing is free at the dealer or the moco, but it sounds good, and the bill for just the syn. is nice.

Quick Reply: let my indy do it