Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinons on Test Rides ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinons on Test Rides ?

I have a bike up for sale and refuse to let prospective buyers take it for a spin. It only has 3,500 miles on it and is in mint shape. The insurance agent tells me that if it gets wrecked, they won't pay because whoever is riding it that wants to buy it isn't listed under my policy. I've heard others with the same thinking as myself. Whether its with a Harley or a pristine classic car. I've heard two horror stories from people that had a cool car for sale and let a prospective buyer test drive it only to find that they couldn't handle the power and wrecked the car. The insurance refused to pay in both instances because the driver wasn't approved.

I don't want to lose a sale, but don't want my bike wrecked either. What do you all think ? Is not being able to take an almost brand new bike with only 3500 miles for a test ride a deal killer ? Or do most of you understand and realize that it's not the seller, it's the insurance company saying no test rides.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally wouldn't do a test ride until I gave you some money and was serious to buy, I just went through this. bought an 01 FXDWG, looked over, said I'll buy, here's 2k$ now Im gonna test run.

However you have a no mileage bike, how much could be wrong that someons gonna find out on a test ride.

I also sold my 07' FLHX for top dollar and the buyer never rode, I would never have done that.

bottom line, back rode at your house, lte him run it throught the gears. But a 2hr tour on your scoot no way.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never allowed anyone to test ride a bike I've sold. In fact, I don't ever remember anyone even asking to. Most experienced potential buyers know better.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I don't care if it had 100 miles on it. I wouldn't buy it without a test ride. As long as the buyer has a valid motorcycle license your insurance should cover it. If not then his insurance should cover it if something happens. I got burned on a boat deal one time by not test driving it. That will never happen again. Put yourself in the buyers shoes, would you buy it without a test ride? I sure as hell wouldn't. But there's a sucker born every minute.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looked at an '07 UC with 950 miles on it last week for a buddy. Right away the seller asked if I wanted to test ride it. Of course I did. I'm not going to tell my buddy to go ahead and give the guy $13k cash without riding it. As long as rider has m class license, insurance should cover him/her. Especially in this market, if you want to sell it, you might want to reconsider your position. No test ride is like buying a pig in a poke.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Time for new insurance agent. I have always been covered even when my wrench rides mine. I would never buy without a test ride but would also never refuse to pay a deposit before taking the ride. If a buyer was not serious enough to agree on the price and pay a down payment at least equal to my deductable I would refuse the test ride. He's NOT gonna buy it anyway.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

This is one of those "dammed if you do - dammed if you don't" situations.

I agree with you, I wouldn't want someone test riding my bike either.
But you have to be prepared to lose the sale if you refuse. Simple as that.

On the other hand if you were buying a "used" bike, wouldn't you want to make sure everything was up to snuff with it?
As said above, with the low mileage your bike is basically like new. But it's still a used bike.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Grizcat68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just TAKE him for a test ride, I know it seems a little gay, but it would just be a short one and few people would see you?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont let anyone touch your bike. Start it, ride in front, and stop it in front of them. If they don't like it tell them to go buy a new bike.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

At this time I have no desire to sell my bike, but I have thought about how I would go about it.

If I where to want to sell my bike I would talk to my dealer about doing it on consignment. First off they probably get a lot more people looking for bikes than my driveway does, They have the ability to finance someone on the spot. If it is damaged while it's in their hands their responsible for it. If they let someone ride it, there responsible for it.

Yes, your going to have to pay there commission rate if they sell it. But, if the buyer isn't happy down the road where do you want him bitching at, your front door or at the dealer.

More than likley I would never sell My bike outright, more than likely it would get traded in. Most of my upgrades would be removed to either be sold or go on the new bike.

Quick Reply: Opinons on Test Rides ?