Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinons on Test Rides ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After keeping it around for a year, I just sold my old bike.

My ad clearly said there were no test rides allowed and that I would start it and demo it in front of them. Which is exactly what I did for several prospective buyers. The third bought it without a fuss.

I had one guy question why. I explained to him that I had no idea about his skill level and wasn't about to let a perfect stranger take my bike out, drop it at the first stop sign, and then sue me for some imaginary negligence or damages. Or, have a third party that they hit come after me, too.

Yes, I have insurance, but I am not interested in filing a claim because somebody seriously misrepresented their skills. I even have Allstate, lol.

Many dealers in this area (other than Harley and BMW) will not allow test rides. You must actually sign all the paperwork to actually buy the bike and put the sale price in hand before they will let you take the bike out for a spin. You bring it back in the agreed upon time in the original condition, they tear up the paperwork. I've had this from small independent/used dealers and authorized Japanese bike dealers. Insurance coverage is simply too high for the test rides. I didn't like it, but I understood the situation.

I also made it clear that nobody was driving the bike away after a sale (unregistered and uninsured). If they weren't coming with a truck or a trailer to take it away (or it wasn't close enough for me to drop off), it wasn't getting sold. Again, you might say that it is their responsibility once they sign the paperwork and take the keys and I am being paranoid...but I'd rather not have to deal with years of legal BS to prove it.

We live in a litigious where you can get nibbled to death by bogus suits. No thanks. If it took me a bit longer to sell it without a test ride, I was willing to take that risk.

Last edited by MadIrish; 05-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM
masonc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several people have stated this. As a buyer, who carries around $20k or so when they are just shopping and looking, even a serious buyer?
imo serious buyers will have the money already ligned up and this gets rid of the tire kickers

Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 AM
HD101st
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally never purchased anything used without a test ride but if you are just looking to sell and buy another one why not just trade into the dealer i know you may loose a few dollars on trade but at least you will not have the worry of someone wrecking your bike and socking you with the bill

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up selling my bike. The new owner came with the cash and loved the bike right off the bat. He did ask if he could test ride it and I told him I was uncomfortable allowing a compete stranger take it out for a ride. He had NO PROBLEM whatsoever with my reasoning and still bought the bike. Thanks to everyone that commented on my thread with both sides of the coin.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got one to sell right now. I will not allow test rides. I will encourage anyone who's interested to bring a mechanic to check it out, but no test rides.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
After keeping it around for a year, I just sold my old bike.

My ad clearly said there were no test rides allowed and that I would start it and demo it in front of them. Which is exactly what I did for several prospective buyers. The third bought it without a fuss.

I had one guy question why. I explained to him that I had no idea about his skill level and wasn't about to let a perfect stranger take my bike out, drop it at the first stop sign, and then sue me for some imaginary negligence or damages. Or, have a third party that they hit come after me, too.

Yes, I have insurance, but I am not interested in filing a claim because somebody seriously misrepresented their skills. I even have Allstate, lol.

Many dealers in this area (other than Harley and BMW) will not allow test rides. You must actually sign all the paperwork to actually buy the bike and put the sale price in hand before they will let you take the bike out for a spin. You bring it back in the agreed upon time in the original condition, they tear up the paperwork. I've had this from small independent/used dealers and authorized Japanese bike dealers. Insurance coverage is simply too high for the test rides. I didn't like it, but I understood the situation.

I also made it clear that nobody was driving the bike away after a sale (unregistered and uninsured). If they weren't coming with a truck or a trailer to take it away (or it wasn't close enough for me to drop off), it wasn't getting sold. Again, you might say that it is their responsibility once they sign the paperwork and take the keys and I am being paranoid...but I'd rather not have to deal with years of legal BS to prove it.

We live in a litigious where you can get nibbled to death by bogus suits. No thanks. If it took me a bit longer to sell it without a test ride, I was willing to take that risk.
You're right. Why take a chance? If something happened, you may be in the right in the end, but how much BS will you have to go through to prove it.