Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinons on Test Rides ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM
JayRossi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would not let anyone test ride my bike.

If the person crashes the bike and sues you, your assets beyond your insurance coverage limits are exposed.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

NO ride, no sale.As mentioned, worse case test ride policy is potential buyer hands over the $$, takes a test ride, if no deal, buyer gets money back. However, there probably are dickbags that wouldn't return teh money, causing bigger issues.

FWIW, I've only bought 2 bikes from private parties, and test rode both no problem, no money down. When I sold bikes, I'd make sure to see a DL, and felt easier about giving test rides when teh buyer showed up on a bike themselves. The seller should have a general feel about teh buyer, so that should sway your decision.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

You hold the entire amount your asking in cash and they can ride all they want. Set it up on the 1st phone call like that and you have no risk, they drop it, wreck it, or blow it up, they bought it. Say all this up front and it works great for both parties

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

when I bought my first harley it had 1200 miles on it
I handed the man 18,900.00 before i took the bike on
a test ride. Now if I had not liked the bike he would have
given me back 18,900.00 and we would have parted
in a frindely manner.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I would not finalize the deal without a test ride, but I would not ask for one unless I had decided to buy the bike. The last used bike I sold, the guy handed me an envelope with the cash for the bike and asked to check it out. Your insurance should also cover the bike as long as the driver has a valid motorcycle endorsement.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

General consensus seems to be -

If you are selling, no test ride.

If you are buying, insist in a test ride.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
A dealer is not very motivated to sell a consigned bike when he can profit far greater by selling one from inventory.

My bike was bought w/o a test ride. Tell the buyer that you'll allow the local dealer to have his mechanic test ride it--they're insured.
I just sold a bike at the dealer though consignment it was there less than a week. They handle all of the advertising, test ride issues and qualifing the buyer. I did not have to deal with people coming to my house or answering stupid lowball offers. Right now there is a belief that every sellers is in dire straits.

Also I always thought that through inplied consent you where covered under you vehicle insurance.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been told it's not uncommon practice for your motorcycle insurance to only cover people on your insurance and that's it.
I think I'd feel uncomfortable with someone riding it because even if they HAVE a motorcycle license whose to say they didn't just walk outta their last MSF class or jump off their 250cc bike they just learned how to do a slow turn without dropping it.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I remember more than one dealer telling me they don't allow test rides. I ask them, "you expect me to trust you with $20K, yet you won't trust me with one of your units"? They come back with the same excuse, "Our insurance won't cover it". I tell them, well my insurance does.

It still didn't work. So as am walking out I tell them to get an insurance policy that does cover test rides. Then they can add the $50 to the OTD price to cover it. Their come back was, we got customers that will buy without a test ride". Those are suckers in my book..

Last month I traded my Gold Wing for a 5 month old Road King to a fellow rider. We both allowed one another long test rides. No problems, no issues.

I won't buy a vehicle ever again without a test ride. Been burnt once and it was on a brand new sport bike that the ergos was so uncomfortable I brouth it right back to the dealer that told me I had to deal with it or lose $700. I took the loss and he lost a great former customer.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Only you can qualify the customer to your satisfaction. If one drives up in a Late model Benz wearing a gold Rolex watch that cost more than your motorcycle and has a valid MC licence along with cash. He's qualified in my book.

Quick Reply: Opinons on Test Rides ?