Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinons on Test Rides ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A dealer is not very motivated to sell a consigned bike when he can profit far greater by selling one from inventory.

My bike was bought w/o a test ride. Tell the buyer that you'll allow the local dealer to have his mechanic test ride it--they're insured.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
2%er OG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a deal breaker for me. When looking at used I don't expect to ride everyone usually I can cross a bike off the list with just a walk around or sellers pitch just didn't ring true. would have no problem with you telling me no test ride an it would earn the bike an extra point. but if I came back with cash in hand an you held to no test ride. Id walk knowing you must be hiding something.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1+ on not buying without riding it. I don't care if its off the show room floor...no ridy..no buyie. I once had a sales person tell me it was to dirty outside to ride the bike..I said that's ok..I guess I won't buy it then.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I'd want a test ride so I would expect to let others test ride.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
rebelpride112006
Cruiser

Sounds like you need a new insurance company. Progressive will cover anybody that doesnt ride your bike more than 6 times a year. Theres no way i would buy a bike new or used without riding it. I wouldnt expect to ride it without cash in hand but for all he knows the bike may crank up and run fine but be missing 5 th gear. Cant blame somebody for not shelling out 10 to 20 grand when they cant ride what they are buying.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the 'no test rides' camp. Ride it for them. They pay in full. They then 'test' ride. If they don't like it--and haven't wrecked it--you can give them their money back. Too many cases of a test ride going bad, and the test rider not taking responsibility. Tell them the situation up front and save some time in case they don't like the rules.

Alan

Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it. Who knows what defects could be hidden. I would have it insured to allow for test rides. If it gets smashed you get the cash from the Insurance Company. You're forgetting you have decided to sell the bike. Who cares who comes up with the cash. Insurance Co. or someone off the street. If someone does comes along with the cash, are you going to be able to part with the bike?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

The owner of the last bike I bought used didn't want me to test ride it. He rode it in front of me and ran through the gears.

I went back with a cashier's check made out to him for the full purchase price. He had the title in his hand and I had a cashier's check in my hand. I told him I had to test ride it before I would load the bike. He reluctantly agreed, but obviously knew I was serious about buying it.

It all worked out, but I don't think I could've bought the bike without running it through the gears.

Dennis

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2 used bikes for sale (4 total) and i've let prospective buyers ride both but i rode with them (on mine) and made it clear how far (usually 1 mile is enough) and then let them make there minds up. They think i'm too hight on the price but i tell them, "my bikes, my price".

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have sold a couple bikes, and an ATV and none of the people I sold to asked for a test ride. I sold my Geo Tracker, and the guy wanted to test it.
I guess, that if they rode up on a bike....that was not dented-up/scratched-to-crap ugly....depending on how quick I wanted a sale, I might let someone test-ride.
With the understanding, that if they come back, walking/bleeding....I will take a 3lb mallet to whatever they showed up on.

chuck

Quick Reply: Opinons on Test Rides ?