Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing the steering knuckle.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Greasing the steering knuckle.....

Good day, Riders.

I know I'm going to have to buy a new grease gun and grease coupler; because I get even get close to the grease nipple location, on my '06 FLHTCUSE with the "old fashion grease gun".

Prior to me going out to purchase something that probably won't work; will the guys who do their own maintenance please tell me what gun and grease attachment will work?

Also what type of grease do you recommend for use in the steering joint?

Thanks in advance......

Ride In Peace

Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm subscribing .... 54K and never done it ... recommended at 50K

Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I simply changed out the grease zerk to a 45 degree zerk which allowed me to use a standard gun. Use the HD multipurpose or the like so it doesn't run and drip when hot. It will take several gun pumps so don't be alarmed.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
Good day, Riders.

I know I'm going to have to buy a new grease gun and grease coupler; because I get even get close to the grease nipple location, on my '06 FLHTCUSE with the "old fashion grease gun".

Prior to me going out to purchase something that probably won't work; will the guys who do their own maintenance please tell me what gun and grease attachment will work?

Also what type of grease do you recommend for use in the steering joint?

Thanks in advance......

Ride In Peace
I go the same Problem on my 06RKC. Can't get to the fitting. Would also like a answer. What I was thinking of doing is changing out the gress fitting to a 45 or 90 degree fitting.

Last edited by carlo; 05-16-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I simply changed out the grease zerk to a 45 degree zerk which allowed me to use a standard gun. Use the HD multipurpose or the like so it doesn't run and drip when hot. It will take several gun pumps so don't be alarmed.

Yup, what he said (I actually did a 90*). It is also a PITA to change out the zerk, but it depends on how fat your fingers are. Not much room with the wiring harness and all.

But, it works like a champ when done..

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greasing steering head

I pumped my head full untill i could see it top and bottom coming out. Will my Timken bearings ever rust? No! Does it drip on the fender and blow on my engine gaurd and left side cover? Yes! HD multipurpose grease and when it gets hot it drips a liquid on the lower tripple tree and out the pinch area slot onto the fender.Maybe it will stop in a couple years. I saw the grease start to come out the bottom race first when pumping so i wrapped a piece of vacume tubing around the bottom bearing to seal it and kept pumping untill i could see it coming out the top race so i know that head is full. If you don't want grease on your bike do not grease this head, if you do not fill the head it would be useless to put just a few pumps as there is such a huge area inside the steering head chances are you would not even get it on one bearing let alone two. I would rather have some grease on the bike vs. rusting steering head bearings if you force water in there from washing or riding in the rain a lot. There are no seals in the steering head to protect the bearings. Lots of older bikes have no fittings to grease and have never had a problem ,you can just leave the head alone for the life of the bike if you want.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the fairing and lower chrome whatever thingy off when I greased it, had full access to it. You can always do whats listed here and grab the 45 degree fitting or get a right angle adapter for your grease gun. As for the grease, use the recommended H.D. or similar thick stuff. I made the mistake couple years back of using some thin crap that was already in the gun, been puking out like mad ever since. Went through what seemed like half a roll of paper towels yesterday cleaning it up. Going down to dealer this week to get the correct stuff.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pump 4-5 times. Saw a bit of grease ooz out of the bottom on a hot day.
The flex hose attachment on my gun works fine.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This grease was recommended by an Indy. Used it on mine and my wifes bike last summer. Not a single drip yet!

Attached Thumbnails Greasing the steering knuckle.....-amsoil-grease.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a right angle fitting on my gun, readily available at auto parts stores.

Mark

Quick Reply: Greasing the steering knuckle.....