Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Adjustment Question

Just got my bike back from it's 1000 mile checkup and the clutch does not grab until the last half inch of release, which I hate. When backing off the clutch adjustment screw which is suppose to be 1/2 to 1 turn, is it the closer to 1 full turn which affects how close to the bar the clutch starts engaging?
I think I understand everything else about adjustment from searching, but I am just a little foggy on what backing off the adjustment screw affects. I'm guessing the tech backs off a half turn. There was also no freeplay in the clutch lever, I thought there should be just a little freeplay at the end of lever travel. I'm thinking that is controled by the adjustment in front of the motor. Maybe I should just run it back in the morning and have him redo it since it was just done Wed. Opinions and answers appreciated!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,215 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Should be 1/16" to 1/8" of freeplay at the clutch perch. You can adjust the cable adjuster at the downtubes for that.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Backing the screw out further will make the clutch grab sooner (closer to handlebars). The way to adjust it is when the bike is dead cold. Collapse the cble adjustment completely, screw in the adjustment screw until you feel slight resistance. Back the screw out 1/2 to 1 full turn and lock it down. Expand cable and you're done.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

I would take it back, and ask them to readjust it. But that's just me. Mine has always engaged in the first 1/3 of the full travel distance. As for the other part of your question, I don't know yet. I am about to start doing my own maintenance real soon. I just received my "Fix my Hog" DVD, and the shop manual is on order. Good Luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 191 Posts

+Dawg. but you paid to have the work done & they should get it right. Get yourself a HD Service Manual, apx. $50. It money well spent. Good luck & enjoy!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Grizcat68
Advanced

Thanks James, that was what I was looking for. Rode my buddies bike and the same dealership set his up the same. I do have the service manual so that is not the problem. I like mine to feel just like Harpoonman explained how his clutch feels. The way mine is setup I feel that you never know if you have complete engagement. I thought about taking it back up, but then the bike is no longer cold so I figure be just as easy to do it myself. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just adjust the cable housing till you get the free play you like !

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizcat68
Thanks James, that was what I was looking for. Rode my buddies bike and the same dealership set his up the same. I do have the service manual so that is not the problem. I like mine to feel just like Harpoonman explained how his clutch feels. The way mine is setup I feel that you never know if you have complete engagement. I thought about taking it back up, but then the bike is no longer cold so I figure be just as easy to do it myself. Thanks for the help guys!
One of the best HD Tech's I've met gave me this tip for clutch adjustment.

Adjust only when bike is cold. Collapse the cable adjuster in front of engine.
Loosen the locknut at the clutch basket and back off a couple of turns.
Pull the clutch arm against the grip with your thumb and fore finger using very light pressure. Screw the adjuster at the clutch basket in until you feel it trying to pull the clutch arm away from the grip. Back off 1/2 to 1 turn. Lock the locknut and do the final adjustment at the cable adjuster.

He said it's hard for some to get the correct feel doing it by the Manual.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
One of the best HD Tech's I've met gave me this tip for clutch adjustment.

Adjust only when bike is cold. Collapse the cable adjuster in front of engine.
Loosen the locknut at the clutch basket and back off a couple of turns.
Pull the clutch arm against the grip with your thumb and fore finger using very light pressure. Screw the adjuster at the clutch basket in until you feel it trying to pull the clutch arm away from the grip. Back off 1/2 to 1 turn. Lock the locknut and do the final adjustment at the cable adjuster.

He said it's hard for some to get the correct feel doing it by the Manual.
That is just plain wrong. The lever will come out about 1/2 to 2/3 from the grip to the perch when you lightly seat the screw according to the manual. That is about another 1/2 to 1 full turn till seated. So if you are stopping when you feel pressure, as you described, the turns out will actually be about 2 or more. Always follow the service manual, the information is there for a reason.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Stay with the manual, what your doing when adjusting the bolt at the clutch hub is removing excess lash between the cable lever in the right hand trans cover and the end of the rod that moves the clutch plates in and out. The backing off 1/2- 1 turn is setting the clearance for expansion when at operating temps. The cable is what gives the 1/16-1/8".

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment Question