Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding the HD security system

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyS
How do you know if your bike has the tssm? I want to buy an alarm but was told i needed the tssm (06 ultra..thanks)
For one, your bike probably wont start without a fob or pass code. Chance's are you have the TSM

Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I'd pass on the HD system and buy a Scorpio from Aritronix. Way more features and likely better quality than the HD system. I've had my system for over 10 years and very happy with the product, company, and customer service:

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my security system and had the local dealer set up everything and all seems to be well. Except that now the battery tender shows that it is charging all of the time while the charger is connected. Is it unusual that there is enough draw from the SS that it would require a constant trickle charge? I do store the bike in an upright position with a wheel dock.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by biggrantwilliam
I think it's junk, removed on my last two bikes, if key fob fails your screwed, seen this happen.
I actually carry a spare TSM on my bike, problem solved. If the TSSM should go bad for any reason or the fob battery dies and I can't code the bike, just install the TSM in place of the TSSM.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior

I went this route: HD would not cover my Insurance $500 Deductable

http://lockitt.com/disclockhigh.htm

$750 Anti-Theft Protection offer

Kryptonite EV4 Disc Lock Premium Pack

This is the NEW design Kryptonite Lock with improved key system

Vertical clearance: 2.1" - 54mm
Horizontal clearance: 1.8" - 48mm
  • 14mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle resists cutting and leverage attacks
  • Double deadbolt locking mechanism has extensive holding power
  • New higher security, disc-style cylinder with more than a million key variations
  • Reinforced anti-drill/pull cylinder protection system
  • Sliding dust cover protects and extends cylinder life
  • 3 keys - one lighted with high intensity bulb & replaceable battery
  • Carry pouch included
$750 Anti-Theft Protection offer

Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior

Good advice:

About locking up your Motorcycle, Scooter or Bicycle
  • Use common sense when locking up any vehicle.
  • Always park your motorcycle in a well lit area.
  • Try avoiding taking the same route every day or park your bike in the exact same spot.
  • Use a locking device appropriate for your bike. Many people practice wishful thinking and use lightweight locks designed for bicycles or scooters. You don't use a $10 lock on a $20.000 motorcycle.
  • When locking your bike, make sure the lock is difficult to reach for the thief, and never leave excess cable or chain on the floor. If you do, you actually provide the thief with a nice working surface.
  • If possible, lock 2 bikes together or lock to a secure object with a good quality lock like an ABUS Magnum Chain, Steel-O-Flex cable or Lockitt Chain. Even in your garage, lock it to something. (see our LockDown products) It's common knowledge that most thieves prefer not to break locks on the spot, unless they can do it in a few seconds. It slows them down. In fact, since most bikes are not properly locked anyway, why would they bother. Keep in mind that the one asset a would be thief does not have, is plenty of time.
  • When using a floor anchor system like the ABUS WBA100 or Xena XGA3, always make sure the anchor is under your bike. If secured with a tough chain or cable and the anchor is hard to reach, you stand a better chance.
  • Add a disc lock as your second line of defense (your steering lock being first). Xena or ABUS Alarmed disc locks are excellent products.
  • Cover your bike up. We even have a cover with a built-in alarm
  • Try to build as many hurdles as possible for them to take. Two locks are better than one and a combination with an alarm works even better. Keep in mind that most alarms, by itself, will not stop the thief from dragging your bike out of sight. However, a good alarm system will place the thief under a lot more pressure while trying to defeat your locks. The new Xena Zone Alarms will add some extra security to your garage, storage or trailer.

About locks, Insurance, Etc

There is a huge variety of locking devices on the market. Most motorcycle locks have been manufactured and improved upon for many years. As a result, these days, we find a lot of good quality locks from a selection of manufacturers. Most are made, unfortunately enough, in China while ABUS locks are primarily made in Germany.
However, in many cases, we notice that locks being used have not been intended by the manufacturer for that specific purpose. For example, we find locks on $20.000 bikes, intended for a school locker or child's bicycle at a cost of $5 in the local hardware store. It usually takes only seconds to open such locks. A $25.00 disc lock will provide you with $25.00 worth of security.
Can locks be broken? Sure they can. We can break any of our locks, no problem (well... some are not that easy). The issue is not whether they can be broken, the issue is the time it takes to do it. Anyone who sells locks, claiming they are unbeatable, needs a reality check. Time, on the job, is the one asset a thief does not have. However, time to think and prepare is what they actually do have. Make it hard and difficult and they will move on to an easier target.
Keep things in perspective. Certainly for sports bikes. Lightweight is really not what you are looking for here.
A good one that I run into all the time is a ' Titanium Lock'. Titanium is all about lightweight, not really a material to take a lot of abuse and hardly ever used in high security locks.
Don't rely on your insurance alone. In Europe, were theft is at a much higher level, bike theft insurance is hard to get and very expensive. By relying only on your insurance, without properly locking your bike, chances of your bike being stolen increases substantially. As a result, premiums will go up for everyone and insurance will become unaffordable for most people. IN FACT, in most cases, you will still lose money in accessories and other valuables. Replacing that bike can be a pain too, if not impossible.
About Methods and Tools
  • CONVENTIONAL TOOLS: Most better quality locks will resist leverage tools, hacksaws and small bolt cutters for a certain amount of time.
    Of course, anything man made can be broken and so there are limits to the amount of abuse a certain lock can take. Again, the time it takes is the issue.
  • POWER TOOLS: They can and will be used. However, keep in mind that this method is noisy and makes the thief very noticeable. Walking around with drills, grinders or a torch will draw some attention at least.
  • FREEZING: Although not a myth, deep-freezing of locks, with Freon, is not that easy to do. Yes, cheaper ,lower quality, locks will snap easily when made more brittle but those locks will usually be broken by conventional methods too. Locks like ABUS Granit series are tested to withstand -40°. Freon only freezes to -20°. Plus, Freon is expensive and hard to get (licensed). Again, do not leave your chain or lock on the ground. You are making it way to easy for thieves to cut them off.
  • LOCK PICKING: A lot of talk and theory. It's not that easy when the lock is on the bike and, on a good lock, it usually takes too much time for the average thief.
    Yes, some people can do it and like to show off too. However, there are a few things to consider. All cylinders are not alike. For instance, there is a huge quality difference in tubular cylinders and some are harder to pick than others.
    A tubular cylinder in a vending machine, is not comparable to the cylinders used in some high quality locks. Most manufactures have moved away from using tubular key systems.
    German made locks like ABUS with their patented Plus Keyway and X-Plus systems are virtually pick and drill-proof. The patented 6 or 7 floating plate design (no springs) and hi-tech key is a nightmare for would be lock-pickers. In addition, the key-way is protected by a hardened spinning plate to resist drilling.
    Xena, OnGuard, Kryptonite and Oxford all use similar systems.
  • 4 guys and a pick-up truck. I hear this all the time at events. As if all thief's work in well organized, super equipped teams of four. Yes, bikes could be stolen that way but, as always, it's the more spectacular method that everyone talks about. And boy...do people talk...
    In reality, a lot of thieves work alone and go about their 'job' in silence.
    Locking up a bike can and will deter most thieves. A lot of theft involves accessories. It is much easier to drag the bike out of sight and unbolt some expensive accessories. Much easier to sell too.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
wolf!
2nd Gear

a lot of times you can wack, even good locks with a hammer and it will skip. you need to put it somewhere where someone can't get a good swing in or a rod can be used for the hammer to wack.
on weather or not to use the alarm. i have the stock harley immobilizer. i tried with it on and with it off for a few months. it's a convience to just hop off the bike and run in or hang around without having to use an ignition key, to stop some idiot from jumping on and riding off. it's about as effective as an ignition key. neither will stop 3 big guys and a pick-up. but then neither will i unless i'm carrying. nobody cares about a siren. by the time someone calls a cop they're gone.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
jackloganbill
Cruiser
Thumbs up

When I found out that the FLHs can be started and run without a key of any kind (I found out when I picked up the motorcycle), you better believe I ordered the security system. Holy heck, anyone can walk up to an FLH and start it if you don't have the security system and the owner did not fork lock it.

JackL

Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
jackloganbill
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wolf!
a lot of times you can wack, even good locks with a hammer and it will skip. you need to put it somewhere where someone can't get a good swing in or a rod can be used for the hammer to wack.
Heck, you can unlock master locks and others with a piece of beer can, no hammer needed. Check out youtube, there are a dozen ways to disable most pad and ULocks.

JackL

Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vickers1
You will be able to go in a store or bar or wherever without having to fumble with the key. Just get off and walk away with the peace of mind that someone can't just get on and drive away. That was worth the $300 for me.

I got my bike without it but my wife's came with it. I got sick of locking it and watching her run into the store without messing with the keys, so I had it installed on mine about 3 months ago. Love it.

As many have said, it won't do anything to stop a determined thief, but it will stop the opportunistic ones.