Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed the Cat and added V&H M/Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Removed the Cat and added V&H M/Ovals

2010 Limited. After doing this mod only, how will I know if I will need to add a fuel management device?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I suppose the only way to REALLY know is to put it on a dyno and see what it looks like. Or you could just ride it for a while and see how it runs. If it's pinging in hot weather under load, you should probably add fuel. If it seems to be running ridiculously hot, which can be tricky to tell, add some fuel. Mine runs great right now but I haven't ridden it in 95 degree heat yet.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the cat...what does it do to your warranty? Did a dealer do it?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scotracy
Removing the cat...what does it do to your warranty? Did a dealer do it?
Saved the original and will reinstall if I have any warranty issues. And no a dealer did not do it, I did.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't need a change in your fuel management with just the exhaust mods. If you change to a stage one air filter you will need to change your AF ratio.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
2010 Limited. After doing this mod only, how will I know if I will need to add a fuel management device?
The only way to "know" if you "need" a fuel management device, is by hooking your bike up to some type of exhaust gas analysis. There is no other way to know, period. Now you just have to define what "need" means.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO, changing the mufflers should not be a problem. But I've heard different things about de-catting & muffler change. I would think you would hear some pinging. Good Luck

Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
The only way to "know" if you "need" a fuel management device, is by hooking your bike up to some type of exhaust gas analysis. There is no other way to know, period. Now you just have to define what "need" means.
My "need" means to avoid any damage to the engine.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Mevman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since MoCo runs it lean from stock and now the cat is gone with free flow mufflers it would make sense that AFR is more lean now.
I would recommened some type of fuel management.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
My "need" means to avoid any damage to the engine.
In that case as long as you don't experience any pinging after the catectomy, you won't need any fuel management. I asked you to define need because it is subjective, ask 10 people you get 10 opinions. There's really only two ways to cause damage via tune condition; the most likely in your case is a lean condition that would contribute to predetonation, or an extreme rich condition that would allow accellerated erosion of the piston rings and cylinder walls, along with it would be accelerated wear to all lubricated surfaces due to gasoline contamination in the oil. These folks that say you don't need fuel management when you change only pipes or only air cleaner are making a guess. How many of them actually know and how many are simply regurgitating what they have heard here from other speculators. By their own definition they may even have been successful because their motor didn't fail, but they don't know the resulting tune condition. Ask someone who utilizes exhaust gas analysis, any change you make, even as slight as installing a clean air filter, will impact your AFRs. Without the real time feedback of exhaust gas analysis it is impossible for anyone to acurately predict the AFR effect of a given part, and anyone claiming to be able to is full of ****.

Quick Reply: Removed the Cat and added V&H M/Ovals