Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed the Cat and added V&H M/Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you underestimate the value of this forum, fabrik8r. There is enough info from multiple sources to, in my opinion, make an informed decision on what you should or shouldn't do with engine mods. To the OP, utilize the search engine and after a little research you should be able to come up with an answer that satisfies you.

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
In that case as long as you don't experience any pinging after the catectomy, you won't need any fuel management. I asked you to define need because it is subjective, ask 10 people you get 10 opinions. There's really only two ways to cause damage via tune condition; the most likely in your case is a lean condition that would contribute to predetonation, or an extreme rich condition that would allow accellerated erosion of the piston rings and cylinder walls, along with it would be accelerated wear to all lubricated surfaces due to gasoline contamination in the oil. These folks that say you don't need fuel management when you change only pipes or only air cleaner are making a guess. How many of them actually know and how many are simply regurgitating what they have heard here from other speculators. By their own definition they may even have been successful because their motor didn't fail, but they don't know the resulting tune condition. Ask someone who utilizes exhaust gas analysis, any change you make, even as slight as installing a clean air filter, will impact your AFRs. Without the real time feedback of exhaust gas analysis it is impossible for anyone to acurately predict the AFR effect of a given part, and anyone claiming to be able to is full of ****.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

The only way to "know" if you "need" a fuel management device, is by hooking your bike up to some type of exhaust gas analysis. There is no other way to know, period. Now you just have to define what "need" means.
Pinging or pipe color are ways to tell without hooking to a computer or dyno from all I have seen.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Whatever Chief, you got anything of substance that might actually help the OP, or did you just feel compelled to squeeze my nutz.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
CWO4
Cruiser

Whatever Chief, you got anything of substance that might actually help the OP, or did you just feel compelled to squeeze my nutz.
I think I helped him out with my suggestion to use search. As far as ruffling your feathers, my apologies...hope it makes you feel better.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another way to tell , look at your plugs after running the bike for a few miles. There's a chart in the service manual that tells you what your plugs should look like with a balanced combustion. Go to tuneyourharley.com good info there. They show and explain how the ECM works in both closed and open loop. In your case, I think the ECM will adjust well with your new setup. You will still be running lean due to EPA mandates.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

OK guys to answer a few questions. Yes I have used the search function on here and read up on everything I could find. HOWEVER many of the posts also included other changes in addition to taking the cat out. Like Stage 1 and so on. So I was trying to see and hear from folks who either have done just the headpipe cat removal mod and slip on's only. And see what they were running into with having any issues whatsoever. Thank you to all for the reply's I do appreciate it very much\, as well as others that may be thinking of doing the same.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are ultimately going to want to add additional air (in) to off-set your new pipes (air out), start planning now for a Stage 1 kit and bite the bullet for a new ECM management system. ThunderMax makes an excellent unit and that will put an end to your Dyno worries by constantly optimizing your air/fuel mixtures.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get some xieds, plug and play. I did and made it just rich enough. Changes AFR to about 13.8:1. Try it, you'll like it.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain

i ended my worries dynod at 13.8:1 like jim did,runs great

Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
OK guys to answer a few questions. Yes I have used the search function on here and read up on everything I could find. HOWEVER many of the posts also included other changes in addition to taking the cat out. Like Stage 1 and so on. So I was trying to see and hear from folks who either have done just the headpipe cat removal mod and slip on's only. And see what they were running into with having any issues whatsoever. Thank you to all for the reply's I do appreciate it very much\, as well as others that may be thinking of doing the same.

i removed the cat from my headpipe with about 3000 miles on the clock. didn't do the full stage 1 until 14,000 on the odo over about 9 months. all i did was remove the cat and add the se nightstick slip on. the bike ran great. no pinging, no rough running, etc. still quiet enough to enjoy the radio on the road, but the exhaust had enough bark to let someone know you were there.

finally did the full stage 1 after i got my tax refund and got the powervision and se ac from fuel moto. bike ran good before, runs great now.

Quick Reply: Removed the Cat and added V&H M/Ovals