Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up camping - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:25 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the key is to go with high quality ultralight gear and learn how to use compression sacks. my 2 person tent and my 40 deg sleeping bag both pack down to about 6" x 8". I can fit my tent, sleeping bag, sleep pad, stove, kitchen kit and food for 3 days in my tour pak with room to spare.

bigagnes.com is my personal favorite mfg for tents and bags but there are others.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
the key is to go with high quality ultralight gear and learn how to use compression sacks. my 2 person tent and my 40 deg sleeping bag both pack down to about 6" x 8". I can fit my tent, sleeping bag, sleep pad, stove, kitchen kit and food for 3 days in my tour pak with room to spare.

bigagnes.com is my personal favorite mfg for tents and bags but there are others.
Appreciate all the suggestions and help. aggro_jo - what gear do you have? Brands?? (Just re-read - I see bigagnes.com)

Last edited by davessworks; 05-15-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Appreciate all the suggestions and help. aggro_jo - what gear do you have? Brands?? (Just re-read - I see bigagnes.com)
Yeah Big Agnes is great stuff. I specifically use the seedhouse sl2 tent and a cross mountain bag w/ clearview pad. I have done a fair amount of self supported bicycle/camping trips so hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM
crash!!!
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head to your nearest REI...

Mr. Dave, I think you should take your wife and your bike to the nearest REI and ask them what their recommendation is. REI if your not aware is a coop and you join for $20 and are a member. You earn a 10% dividend every march/april plus you can return any product at anytime no questions asked. Be prepared to drop some money though, just like parts for your bike, they provide top of the line gear. I do prefer the REI branded stuff over northface, mtn hardware...etc.

As mentioned a 3 man/3 season tent is a great start. gives you a little extra room. probably run you around $150 to $300 for a good lightweight tent. Also the 2 door suggestion is a must.

Thermarest makes some great roll pads. Adds insulation between the cold ground and you. For bags, go get fitted, they make different sizes for different people.

A Jetboil is probably the best stove for lightweight camping. I would use mountain house meals for food. easy and compact.

But most important, when you purchase all this gear, take a ride just outside of town and do a one night dry run. It will help you determine what else you need or if you dont like the gear you bought.

one more thought, check out advrider.com These guys do intense off the beaten path riding and can offer great suggestions. Let us know how it all works out. Have a safe ride and enjoy your first camping trip.

CRASH!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM
jaxbusa
Cruiser

As you will find out, there are so many options on what to use or bring. My wife and I began to do the one side bag for clothes each thing until I realized that all the heavy stuff was on top. We then put heavy items in the side bags and clothing in the tour pak We put a air pump, queen air mattress, cameras, and toiletries in the side bags. Lighter items and a 3 person tent were put in a waterproof bag on the tour pak rack. You can find pillows, sleeping bags and tents that will fold up small and all fit in the tour pak. You can also spend enough money on those items that you could have stayed in hotels on your whole trip. It all depends on how frugal you want to be in that area. I bought a tent for 40 or 60 bucks and it's fine. I did a few trips with it and wanted something that packed smaller. I bought a $100 1 person tent that would fit in the tour pak. I thought it was great until I began to set it up in the yard for a equipment test before a trip. It took forever to set up and when Got in it my head and feet were poking out. I quickly returned it. Also, don't buy a 0 degree rated sleeping bag just because it's on sale. It's probably on sale because they can't get rid of it because people in their righ minds don't camp in that weather. The last tip I can give you is to pack smart on what you bring. I once brought a folding chair only to realize that every camp site has a picknic table. Pack light and bring money.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
ULTRAMAN53
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the only way to go. keeps all the weight low and off the bike. you just have pay attention, pulling a trailer.whole rig, loaded with gear, weighs about 250#,. i run about 22# tounge weight. doesn't slow me down much out on the road, if any. you do need to look farther out when riding.

Attached Thumbnails 2 up camping - suggestions-ultraman53.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ULTRAMAN53
this is the only way to go. keeps all the weight low and off the bike. you just have pay attention, pulling a trailer.whole rig, loaded with gear, weighs about 250#,. i run about 22# tounge weight. doesn't slow me down much out on the road, if any. you do need to look farther out when riding.
Each to their own!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Talking use your space wisely

Just remember not to take too much stuff with you. We did and ended sending some extra clothes and stuff the wife bought on our trip. We had all good intentions on camping but the weather was not in our favor. This was when the south was getting hit the wicked storms in April. So we stayed in hotels and only camped one night. It was more of a pia to put all the gear on and off the bike. I use a backpack and strap it on the tour pack rack. We were gone for 12 days.

If you leave in the cold and have leather jackets on and it gets hot. Just remember they need to go on the bike as well as all the other stuff. The bike was like a loaded down mule.hahah

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jrbean1
Just remember not to take too much stuff with you. We did and ended sending some extra clothes and stuff the wife bought on our trip. We had all good intentions on camping but the weather was not in our favor. This was when the south was getting hit the wicked storms in April. So we stayed in hotels and only camped one night. It was more of a pia to put all the gear on and off the bike. I use a backpack and strap it on the tour pack rack. We were gone for 12 days.

If you leave in the cold and have leather jackets on and it gets hot. Just remember they need to go on the bike as well as all the other stuff. The bike was like a loaded down mule.hahah
Yup - been there done that - solo. Sent a bunch of stuff (including dirty clothes) home in a flat rate box from Sturgis. Also - amazing the climate differences. As much as I like by leather pants they'll probably stay home on this trip!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Motorcycle camping two-up can be fun but it's a lot of work packing/unpacking your gear and it adds a lot of weight to the bike. As has been mentioned, the lighter your gear the better so buy stuff made for backpacking. It's pricier than the cheap and heavy car camping stuff but it's light, packs small and is durable.

Quick Reply: 2 up camping - suggestions